roll control in Zenith CH601

mhubel

I have installed servos in my Zenith CH601XLB using a D180. Mostly it worked "out of the box". It does however seem not to make use of the attitude indication, only rate of turn. I can't absolutely prove this but it only seems to react after a turn starts, not on the first roll deflection.

I see no settings to control this. Am I correct or is there something I need to do to make it more sensitive to the initial roll? I think that it would be much more useful in light turbulence if it did detect roll faster.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
I'm not sure I'm quite understanding what you're observing. Are you saying that when you roll into a turn, the atttitude indication doesn't? The roll reaction should appear near-instantaneous. Or do you mean that the turn rate indicator doesn't react to the initial roll? If you mean the latter, that's by design. Unlike a conventional steam turn coordinator, the EFIS variety only reacts to movement about the yaw axis and not to pure roll movements.

mhubel

The attitude and rate of turn indicators are perfect. It is the reaction of the AP to them. It just appears to me that the AP only uses the rate of turn. It does not seem to make use of the attitude indication. I know this is the way many certified AP systems work but I thought this might do better.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The AP system absolutely does use roll rates. However, wings level is not "no turn" so the number one goal of the AP is not to level the wings. It does cancel roll rates that it does not want even if a turn rate does not yet exist.

What are you hoping it does that it does not? This will help us tune it for your aircraft.