Roll servo adjustment

mhwebbink

I love flying!
First, I want to express my appreciation for the more detailed guidance on tuning the AP. That said, I continue to have problems with the roll control. Last year Dynon had me bump up the servo to a 45, but the plane continues to "wallow," drifting well off track and then coming back. Using the new tuning instructions, I started off with sensitivity set very low and have continued to increase it. This has decreased the wallowing (but has eliminated it) and at the same time the roll control has become twitchy, rapid turns back and forth but no steady on track flight. I am now up to 20 on the sensitivity, but I have not touched the gain. Am I missing something here, or is such wallowing inherent in the roll control?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
When the AP is wallowing, are you using HDG, TRK, or HSI/NAV mode? Wallowing in HDG mode can be caused by a poor compass location.

What product is this on (D100/SkyView), and what kind of airplane? What software version are you on?

Finally, have you checked for slop between the servo and ailerons? Engage the AP in test mode on the ground and then see how much you can move the ailerons up and down. More than a few degrees is too much slop and means the autopilot doesn't have very direct control of the plane.

mhwebbink

I love flying!
TRK mode. The first mode the instructions say to test in.

D100/Skyview

Allegro LSA

Latest software version - 6.2

Have not checked for slop. Will do that and get back to you.

Thanks.

led

Hi,

After you check for slop, and double checked that there are no slips, I recommend backing off the sensitivity some until it is less twitchy.  You can then use the roll gain in small increments to reduce the wallowing tendency.

Let us know how it goes!