Roll slip problem

Tuiliere

flying a RV7 in France.
Hy Dynon,

I used Skyview system from 1 year and I am happy each time I fly with my little aircraft. I have some problem with my auto pilot for a short while : the message "slip roll" appear very very often. Torque is on 100% and I didn't change anything. So, do you think the servo engine is faulty ? How to be sure is it ? When I engage the auto pilot on ground, the pitch servo resistance is good but the roll servo is very weak.
Thanks for your help
Sylvain

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Roll slip messages mean that the servo isn't able to exert enough force on the control system to do what it wants. But the perceived resistance could conceivably differ from pitch to roll depending on how much throw you're using of each servo - so that by itself doesn't tell you the whole story? What kind of aircraft is this? Which servo model are you using for roll? How much angular throw (or rotations of the capstan) are you using from end to end on the roll axis? There could be something up with the servo, but it could also just be undersized.

Tuiliere

flying a RV7 in France.
My aircraft is a microlight, a new TL 2000 Sting carbon from TL Ultralight in czech Republic. What is curious is I flew 180 hours (one year) without any problem, so I don't think the servo is undersized ?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
If that's the case and you're seeing new and different behavior, then that may point more to an issue with the servo. If there were changes in the control system - for example, increased friction due to abnormal wear in the controls - you could see some different AP responsiveness too as it tries to overcome those increased forces.

Tuiliere

flying a RV7 in France.
There were no changes in the control system, so I asked my dealer a new servo in warranty. I will tell you the result after the exchange.

Tuiliere

flying a RV7 in France.
Hello Dynon,
I changed my roll servo but I have some problems because it don't work at all.
After changing the servo, I had the message "roll servo offline". So, I went to the network setup, and then SV detected the new servo with a new serial number. It asked me to update the latest software, and after that, the message "roll servo offline" disappeared. But when I go to the hardware servos calibration menu, in the status menu I don't see the new servo (only the pitch servo "installed" and the old roll servo "uninstalled", and if I make the calibration test it makes it only on the pitch servo. In the autopilot setup menu, I see in grey "Autopilot controls : single servo". Where is my problem ? Please Help...

Tuiliere

flying a RV7 in France.
Hy Dynon,  some pictures to illustrate my problem :

1st : Network status where we see the new servo n°6397 status ready.

2nd : Hardware servo status where you see the pitch servo and the old roll servo (uninstalled) but not the new servo.

3rd : Servo calibration : it said 2 servos founded but I think there are the pitch servo and the roll old one servo , so calibration is not available .

It it possible the problem come because I installed the Beta 10.2 version ?

Sylvain

Attachments

• DSC05928.jpg
    DSC05928.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 184
  • DSC05929.jpg
    DSC05929.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 171
  • DSC05930.jpg
    DSC05930.jpg
    908.8 KB · Views: 169

Tuiliere

flying a RV7 in France.
Hi Dynon,

Finally I found the disconnect switch :D and calibration is done. I will make tests in flight tomorrow.
I think it would be good if the explanations in the installation manual for the servos calibration be more explicit. For example, when you connect a new servo, perhaps you could create a message inviting to connect it to SV network and after to calibrate it. I looked for a long time to understand how it works.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So actually, there's a section in the installation manual just for this. It's the "return to service after repair" section. In the latest version, Rev Q, on page 19-4:

Autopilot Servos
1. Reinstall the servo in the aircraft.
2. Reconnect all harnesses and connections as originally installed.
3. Power up the entire SkyView System (all displays, modules, servos, etc.).
4. From any display in the aircraft, reconfigure SkyView Network under SETUP MENU > SYSTEM SETUP > NETWORK SETUP > CONFIGURE…
5. Confirm all SkyView Network components are found, including the reinstalled servo.
6. Assuming the Autopilot was previously set up and working correctly, you only need to recalibrate the servos by going to SETUP MENU > HARDWARE CALIBRATION > SERVO CALIBRATION > CALIBRATION and following the on-screen instructions.