Rotax questions for D180

Simn_Smith

Hi,

I'm thinking of swapping my "steam" gauges for an EFIS D180 and have a couple of questions.

Firstly, will there be a firmware upgrade to cope with the two fuel flow sensors required for the Rotax 914 or will it always require the Matronics module?

Secondly,  Since I believe that the Dynon units can now cope with 4 EGTs and 2 CHTs, is the sensor/harness package available  like this rather than the 2 EGT version?

Thirdly,  How are the EGT's mounted?  Below is a picture of the Rotax standard EGT mount point

DSC00128.jpg

Do the Dynon sensors screw into these or are they mounted some other way?

Thanks

Simon

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Hi Simon,

We only have one input that can accommodate fuel flow, so for the conceivable future the Matronics module is the only solution for measuring fuel flow if you need the second sender to measure return.

We don't have a specific probe package configured for 4 EGTs, but if you call us we can help you put one together.

Our probes do not screw into the Rotax bosses, since the 912 manifolds do not have them and the overwhelming majority of our Rotax customers have that version of the engine. They are the hose clamp type. If you source probes that fit the bosses, though, they would work just as long as the sensor is a "type k" thermocouple.

Simn_Smith

A couple more questions!

You mentioned back in May that you were looking at the possibility of mixing English and metric units on the EMS. Is there any progress? Virtually all of Europe works on MAP in Inches, litres and °C.

I note on page 7-16 of the D180 installation guide (configuration table) that the EGT can only have a range of 800 to 1600. I take it that this is 800-1600F. Is the metric version 800-1600c or 427-871c (F figures converted to C)? I ask because the 914 has a "normal" EGT of 900c/1650f and a max of 950c/1740f. Clearly if the upper limit of the EMS is 1600f then it will not work!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Our next firmware update will allow you mix and match english and metric units for different types of measurements. MAP, in particular, has its own setting.

The information in the D180 installation guide is about to be updated to reflect that you can set the high end of the EGT scale higher than 1600. K-type thermocouples (which the EGTs are) will measure up to 1800F, and the EMS/FlightDEK will display those values. So you'll be OK.

Rado

Hi, I present a European aircraft building company!
It’s very important to know, when you’re going to release the new D-180 firmware update and the new installation guide?
Could you tell me which measurements are supposed to be in both, metric and English units?
Thank you!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Actually, our last firmware update allows you to mix and match units. There are different settings for tempterature, pressure, volume, distance, speed, altitude, and a separate setting for manifold pressure.