RPM not working

iceman

Hi...Just ran my Rotax 912 UL engine for the first time. Everything works except the RPM reading. What could be wrong ? Do we need any special converters for the D120 to read the RPM signal ? Please help anybody ?

Simn_Smith

As long as it is connected as per the manual (using the resistor) it should work. It might be worth checking that the line that you have connected it to (RPM L or R) is the one that the D120 is trying to display.

iceman

Hi...thanks for the reply. We are connected to the left one. I also set the sensor to read left under the setup. What should the voltage output be after the resistor ?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It's pretty simple, just as the install manual says:

Hook one end of the trigger coil to ground.

Hook the other end to one end of the 30k resistor

Hook the other end of the resistor to the EMS L RPM input.

That's it. It should work. The voltage after the resistor should be a very fast 10-100V pulse. You'll only be able to see this on an oscilloscope.

There is no setting in the EMS to "Read" the L RPM input- it's automatic. Are you sure that you're setting up the right thing? The only setting for RPM is if it's displayed, and what the pulses/rev are. If you want, you can try to hook the RPM to the right tach input- it works exactly the same.

iceman

;D Hi...Great to have you guys back. I was so badly wanting to fly my aerie but cant until I have sorted these issues out. Okay I follow what you say. Let me give it another bash and see what is going on. What is the purpose of the resistor ?

iceman

Hi...got it to work. We were using a common ground between all the instruments in the aircraft. What we then decided to do was put in a ground seperate from the other instruments the would run directly between the engine and the D120. It worked. Thanks for your input.