RV10 Autopilot Servo

paul330

I have been reading, with some dismay, that the SV42 servos do not appear to be adequate for the RV10. I purchased mine some time ago so that I might install as I went along. At the time, the SV42 was recommended. Now it seems that the SV42T is needed for the pitch and I have read in several places that the SV52 is preferred for roll.

Have I bought a lemon? :mad:

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We made that change not too long ago in response to customer feedback that some customers were not getting the torque they needed from the SV42. Some were fine, while others found they needed some extra oomph. We will happily trade you servos at any time - just give our support guys a call at 425-402-0433.

The SV42T is highly recommended for pitch, but we still recommend the SV42 standard for roll.

preid

Mike (Support)
Dynon is first rate with customers. Thank you for taking care of the issue I was experiencing, not even a second thought when it came to resolving the servo concern.
It is reasons like this that I am so glad I went Skyview.
A company that stands by their products is a company worth investing in.
Thank you!!

paul330

Thanks for the offer to trade - glad to see you are living up to your reputation of great support! :)

Couple of questions. First, is the SV42T a drop in replacement? Secondly, I purchased my servos directly from you. Can I trade with the UK agent (from whom I bought most of my Skyview system) or do I need to return it to the US?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Thanks for the offer to trade - glad to see you are living up to your reputation of great support!  :)

Couple of questions.  First, is the SV42T a drop in replacement?  Secondly, I purchased my servos directly from you.  Can I trade with the UK agent (from whom I bought most of my Skyview system) or do I need to return it to the US?

paul330:

SV42T is NOT a drop-in replacement for the SV42. SV42T is a Linear Actuator, thus attaches to the controls differently than an SV42. If Dynon is doing a SV42T servo upgrade on an RV-10, Dynon will include the required SV42T bracket.

While it's simpler for Dynon to work directly with a customer for servo upgrades, we're happy to work with a Dynon dealer (as long as the dealer is willing to do so) to effect a servo upgrade on behalf of a customer.

paul330

Thanks. I am back in UK next week and will talk to Mendelssohns and see what they can do.

Please, though, tell me that the hole in the bellcrank for the actuator rod is in the same place....... :-/

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Yep, same belcrank hole location. You can see the installation drawings and instructions at http://docs.dynonavionics.com

Ron_B.

I love flying!
Just replaced the servos on a flying RV-10, no big deal. Unscrewed the mount, replaced with the new the mount and mounted the SV-42T and rewired. Getting back there was the hardest part, but luckly I'm small.
Ron

DBRV10

Folks and Dynon please note.

The Roll servo really needs to be an SV52

The pitch is OK with the SV42T, however having tested more torque with the 52T I prefer its performance, but hey, I am not crawling in there to change it over again  :D

So folks, from someone who has tested the RV10 over 550 hours now, it is my opinion that a SV42T is the ONLY way for pitch, and for Roll it really should be a 52. Save yourselves the trouble and just trust me  ;)

Dynon, if you really disagree.....email me or call me....we can fight it out there  :cool:

By the way the SV52 on the Roll axis we set at 90%. The Pitch we set at 100%

Cheers all!

PS Readers note, a SV52T mentioned above never really existed, well it did and does in my hangar cupboard, but this was as a result of trialling things. So do not ask Dynon for one....OK ;)