RV10 pitch servo

cjhukill

I installed a SV42 pitch servo in my RV10 project back in 2010. That was the recommended servo back then. I am about to first fly the plane and I read on another forum that the recommended servo is the SV42T servo. I assume that is a higher torque unit but I can't find any info on it here or in the installation manual. Is it necessary to change my servo out, and what is involved in the change? Is it a remove and replace or more? I don't want to delay my first flight, but I also don't want to fly with the wrong servo and not be able to exchange it with Dynon for the right one.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
We did change the servo installation to a slightly different servo. It's fundamentally the same size servo, but with a different method of connecting to the control surfaces that offers enhanced force. You can see how they install differently (they do use different installation hardware) here by comparing the current and "legacy" RV-10 documentation: http://dynonavionics.com/docs/support_documentation.html.

There are a decent amount of customers that have the original servo and installation kit and and it works for them, and so they didn't change to the SV42T. Others find that they can't quite get the amount of torque they need out of that setup (which was the catalyst for the change). What you'll be looking for are slips that occur on the pitch axis, even if the torque is turned up all the way. If that happens, you'll want to consider changing to the SV42T.

DBRV10

Given I was the suspect that started the 'T' version off, back in 2009, and into 2010, the reason for the SV42T is that the resolution of feedback (encoder pulses) to the system is relatively small numbers because at speed the RV10 elevator hardly moves. It is a big powerful elevator (for slow speed work) and at high speed it is very effective.

I think those who have the standard SV42 just do not realise what they are missing out on ;) in terms of smooth accurate ride.

The linear actuator is worth buying, its not much cost and the installation is simple.

Best advice from a happy customer :D

jakej

I'd have to agree David. The Torque Enhancer version is Dynon's best solution to the 'heavy' elevator situation, much better than just using a heavy duty servo motor :)

Jake J

W

William_Ince

I'd have to agree David. The Torque Enhancer version is Dynon's best solution to the 'heavy' elevator situation, much better than just using a heavy duty servo motor  :) 

Jake J

Do they use the standard shear screws?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It does use a standard shear screw. The shear screw fights the motor torque, so it doesn't matter what kind of torque changing elements are outside.