SA Data Manager screwed up AGAIN

swatson999

I am SO sick of this buggy, POS app from SA...today, I get this:

Update process starting.
Checking for new US Dynon SkyView ChartData.
There was an unexpected problem downladoading Seattle Avionics Airport Diagrams (descriptive data) FGData.
There was an unexpected problem downladoading IFR Approach Plates (descriptive data) PlatesData.
Update process complete.

No doubt the "fix" will be to delete all the data and start over, or something equally stupid.

When, when, WHEN will SA get someone who knows how to write decent software to rearchitect and reimplement this god-awful program?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
There's some news in our Oshkosh announcements that may help improve things here:

swatson999

I'm not sure how...loading the charts on the *Dynon* has never been a problem. It's downloading them from SA that's jacked up.

And via WiFi? How would those upload speeds compare to a USB stick?

Unless I missed something in the press release?

n144sh

I love flying!
Agreed ^^^. SA data manager is such a piece of work that there is no way I want to use FlyIQ developed by the same guys. Thanks but no thanks.....

kellym

I love flying!
I'm not sure how...loading the charts on the *Dynon* has never been a problem. It's downloading them from SA that's jacked up.

And via WiFi? How would those upload speeds compare to a USB stick?

Unless I missed something in the press release?
Yup,
Today my email/password that has been stored in the ChartManager forever stopped working, in spite of my having a lifetime subscription.
Now get no subscription information available. Only automated response from support.

RandomSquawk

Agreed, Seattle Avionics Data Manager is pretty nasty. Confusing UI, slow, misleading status reporting. Worse, I have found some long-standing basic errors in the data itself as presented on the HDX, also evident in FlyQEFB. The same errors do not exist in iFlyGPS, or ForeFlight, so my confidence in SA is not great. Yes, I have active sub's for all 3 apps. Might as well check them out properly. Too bad I was relying on the Dynon when I made a recent wrong pattern. If Dynon distances themselves from SA, I wonder what the other options/costs would be.

kellym

I love flying!
Yup,
Today my email/password that has been stored in the ChartManager forever stopped working, in spite of my having a lifetime subscription.
Now get no subscription information available. Only automated response from support.
Well, SA support did get back to me, my password had gotten corrupted somehow. Once that fixed, it updated normally.
I don't depend on SA charts for airport pattern, freqs, etc.. I get those from the Dynon navdata.

Ronsim

I love flying!
I have used SA for my AFS screen and for FlyQ for several years --- the only issues I have ever had were "self-induced" --- I have used FlyQ, WingX, Foreflight, Garmin, and iFly --- FlyQ and iFly are my favorites.

Rhino

I'm partial to Avare, mainly because it's free. I also hate my iPad, but that's a different discussion. Unfortunately, there is no data sharing between Avare and Dynon. Makes me wonder where they get their data though.

Rhino

This is being noted in the certified forum too. Apparently some have had success with using a different USB drive. Might want to go check that out if you're having problems. Couldn't hurt.

jnmeade

slingshot is only of iPad and iPhone. Cuts me out.

I have a Garmin 625 and 2 SkyView Touch 10". What is the best map data for the SkyView that doesn't rely on Seattle Avionics?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The digital data is always free on our website to download monthly. But for charts and digitized version of paper products (sectionals, IFR Lo/High, etc), Seattle Avionics is the only provider in the US currently.

Rhino

That never made sense to me. The raster charts are available free from the FAA. Why is Seattle Avionics the only place that digitizes them for the EFIS? Given the software abilities of so many people today, I find it hard to believe someone else couldn't do it fairly easily. I was in IT, but I was never a software developer.