Seattle Avionics DataManager crashes Win7-64bit

BMW_X6M

RV-9A O-320 Catto Prop. Dual HDX, ADSB GTN650
I was able to download all the charts the first time I installed DataManager. I have since reinstalled it, due to it crashing often, and it continues to crash. Any advice would be appreciated.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
We use that configuration here and haven't had problems lately. There was a period where they were fixing a few issues around the time that they started supporting our enroute charts, and also, there was a short time that they were publishing a version of the program before its general release. That should've auto-updated to the latest, but you can also always get the latest version at http://chartdata.seattleavionics.com/Apps/DataManagerSetup.exe. As of right now, the latest version is 4.1.4.014, which you can see at the bottom left of the ChartData Manager application.

BMW_X6M

UPDATE: I had a friend look into this for me, he is more computer savvy. He decided to delete the existing databases, and it appears they may have been corrupted, because now the program runs without crashing, and has downloaded all of the data again. Thank you Dynon and now Seattle. I managed to get in on their half price sale for the data package, so I am enjoying the new charts and plates on the screens.

Carl_Froehlich

I've have experienced the same problem. Last month I contacted Seattle Avionics and it took two sessions with them doing remote access to fix. This month the same exact problem is back. I deleted all the downloads a couple of times and removed and reloaded the Data Manager but the problem is still there. I'm now waiting for them to respond to my last note.
I'm running a 64 bit machine with Windows 8.1.

flybuddy

Also, why does it take about 20 seconds to update Databases through Dynon for whole country but over an hour for just a few states on datamanager? Seems like it does a complete overwrite as opposed to updating only new data.

60av8tor

I've have experienced the same problem.  Last month I contacted Seattle Avionics and it took two sessions with them doing remote access to fix.  This month the same exact problem is back.  I deleted all the downloads a couple of times and removed and reloaded the Data Manager  but the problem is still there.  I'm now waiting for them to respond to my last note.
I'm running a 64 bit machine with Windows 8.1.

Same here - beyond frustrated with SA's interface :mad:.

Last month I probably deleted, downloaded, deleted, uninstalled, reinstalled, etc. 30 times until it worked properly. This month, same thing. Plates remain yellow on the computer and red on the stick. Everything else downloads correctly :-/

BMW_X6M

UPDATE: My W7 64 bit failed again.  I have reverted to running the update software on an old XP machine, where it seems to be working fine.  I use this old pc now for the database updates.  I have removed all of it from my W7 64 bit machine.

Also, I was trying this on a networked W7 64 bit PC at work. This means that the data files are stored on the server, not on my machine. The computer geeks think this may be part of the problem. The XP machine is logged in locally, and is not part of the domain. The data files are stored on the machine in this case.

tommyturner

I spent the last two months trying to get the Data Manager program to work . Yesterday after dozens of attempts on two PC''s I finally got a successful download. The method that finally worked. I was using windows 7. I uninstalled the program using the uninstall option on their program. I then searched the  computer for any folder with name " Seattle " in it and deleted all files in those folders. I then reinstalled the program and tried to download data. The program hung twice and I restarted it both times and it finally got a complete download. I have been in the IT business for over 30 years and this program is one of the worst examples I have ever seen. Seattle Avionics has a good product at a reasonable price. I can't see why they can't provide a better download program.

NASA515

I love flying!
I never could get the SA Data Manager to work on my Win 7 64 bit machine.  I switched to that (horrors) obsolete and unsupported OS called XP and it has worked flawlessly ever since.

If, perchance, you live in the past (as I do) and have a bug-ridden, "at-risk", good old XP machine sitting aorund - try it, you might like it....

Bob Bogash
RV-12
N737G

Carl_Froehlich

I'm running a 64 bit machine with Windows 8.1. This last update I again killed several hours trying to get the Data Manager to work. This is what I ended up doing - so far it works:
- Go to "options", then "advanced", then to "open the download folder on this PC.
- Delete all files in the download folder.
- Go to "options", then turn off "allow simultaneous downloads".

Now hit the "download now" and patiently wait for all the files to update.

Other tricks:
- Do not get Alaska and Hawaii unless you need them. Alaska is a huge file.
- Do not let your computer "sleep" as this will stop the download and you get to start all over again.
Carl

Bruno

Support/Gents

I'm also running WIN7 64 BITS and eventough Data manager never crash on me, I've had issue with downloading the approach charts and here's what SA suggested I do and it worked.

I also deleted Data Manager and re-installed it and it has been working fine so far ( fingers crossed )

It may not be the solution but it might help you guys out..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keith Russo, Jul 03 13:30:
It sounds like a file was corrupted during download. I suggest the following in Data Manager:

1. Disable 'Allow simultaneous download' under Options
2. Select 'Open the download folder on this pc' under Advance
3. Delete anything with 'ChartData' in the name.
4. Delete the Plates from the USB Flash Drive
5. click Download Now

-------------------------------------------

Good luck

Bruno