Seattle Avionics price increase

n144sh

I love flying!
This is probably old news - just noticed the subscription price increase from $99/annually to $119.

Still a good value for the data, but my gosh the chartdata manager is a horrible, buggy, slow and pathetic piece of SW. Yes, I know if you buy the FlyQ app you can do wireless updates. Doesn't help Foreflight, Garmin Pilot, or FltPlan users - I can't imagine buying FlyQ after using chartdata manager....

Please Dynon - offer an alternative. (after autopilot and certified V16 software....)

swatson999

Since they've been bought out, they're likely to care even less about their sh*tty software. Too bad...the data is great, but the Data Manager is some serious junk which now is likely to never get fixed.

Dollars to donuts they stop supporting it entirely and try to switch everyone to a different app (so that we can then be forced to buy the Wifi dongle for SV, buy/use an iPad, etc.).

airguy

With SA selling out, I believe you're right - the handwriting is on the wall. We've all seen this movie before, and the bad music is starting to play.

Rhino

All those years in IT, I had so many software developers tell me I should be doing what they were doing (they liked the scripts I wrote). Now I'm kind of wishing I actually had, because I'd really love to fix this.

Bill Putney

The problem with so much software is that it's mostly written by software developers. Having written software in a past life, I know that there is a vast difference between what seems obvious to me when I'm writing software and what I have to put up with when someone else wrote it. If you ever get a chance to beta test software that you someday want to use, it's a great opportunity to get things fixed. Once a piece of software is released and that design team moves on to the next startup, the software might as well be cast in stone.

Rhino

Most of my IT years were on government contracts where the developers were contractually obligated to provide support and fix errors. Certainly not a fast or simple process, but it worked for the most part.

M20Driver

This is probably old news - just noticed the subscription price increase from $99/annually to $119.

Still a good value for the data, but my gosh the chartdata manager is a horrible, buggy, slow and pathetic piece of SW. Yes, I know if you buy the FlyQ app you can do wireless updates. Doesn't help Foreflight, Garmin Pilot, or FltPlan users - I can't imagine buying FlyQ after using chartdata manager....

Please Dynon - offer an alternative. (after autopilot and certified V16 software....)
Wait.. If you use FlyQ, one can update HDX data from the ipad?

Rhino

You can if you want to spend additional money in order to do what the stuff you already spent money on is supposed to do.

Rhino

Wait.. If you use FlyQ, one can update HDX data from the ipad?
You can now, via wifi with the latest update.

Having read numerous threads about Seattle Avionics ChartData problems, and not yet having installed my displays, I'm still a little shaky on why we actually need Seattle Avionics. The charts are available for free on the Dynon web site, so I know I must be missing something here. I just don't know what that is. What does SA give us that Dynon doesn't?

JP JR

Having read numerous threads about Seattle Avionics ChartData problems, and not yet having installed my displays, I'm still a little shaky on why we actually need Seattle Avionics. The charts are available for free on the Dynon web site, so I know I must be missing something here. I just don't know what that is. What does SA give us that Dynon doesn't?
IFP charts and plates

JP JR

Although I haven’t yet tried I do believe that Jep has some charts that can also be downloaded for use on the Dynon HDX. Specifically I will be getting a separate Jep chart subscription for flying to Mexico as they have better charts for down south. I do wonder why we don’t have a option of using a USA Jep chart subscription for the Dynons since they definitely allow its use out of the USA?

djones

Administrator
Staff member
John,
So you know, Jepp charts do not work on SkyView
We can use Jepp airport and obstacle data outside the USA (or in the USA for that matter), but we don't support their chart format.

JP JR

Don,
Thanks for the clarification. It is the airport information I intend to add for Mexico from Jep but hopefully someday the charts might also be a option for us as well.

Corefile

Are there some documentation on this somewhere - now that the certified version just approved for 16.08 - I would love to be able to use FlyQ to updates charts and maps. Is it just the dynon data - or is it the Seattle Avionics data as well?

EDIT - ahh ok looks like the wireless updates via flyq are the slingshot and you need version 16.2.4 or something like that. bummer for the certified

Last edited:

kellym

I love flying!
Although I haven’t yet tried I do believe that Jep has some charts that can also be downloaded for use on the Dynon HDX. Specifically I will be getting a separate Jep chart subscription for flying to Mexico as they have better charts for down south. I do wonder why we don’t have a option of using a USA Jep chart subscription for the Dynons since they definitely allow its use out of the USA?

Dynon does not give you charts. It only supplies nav and terrain data. If you want sectionals, airport diagrams, IFR approach plates and IFR low enroute charts you have to go to Seattle Avionics

Rhino

So the "Aviation" in Aviation/Obstacles only means terrain data. Does the HDX come with an initial chart, or do you have to go to SA just to get started?

kellym

I love flying!
So the "Aviation" in Aviation/Obstacles only means terrain data. Does the HDX come with an initial chart, or do you have to go to SA just to get started?
The default mapping is just terrain, obstacles and so forth. Some folks prefer that display for its clean, uncluttered look. If you want an FAA chart you do have to go to SA.

djones

Administrator
Staff member
Aviation / Obstacle databases get you airport info, airspace info, frequencies and obstacles. These are what drive the SkyView base map and airport information. Seattle Avionics gets you sectional charts, IFR enroute charts and approach plates

midlifeflyer

The default mapping is just terrain, obstacles and so forth. Some folks prefer that display for its clean, uncluttered look. If you want an FAA chart you do have to go to SA.
In a dual HDX panel, I quickly discovered I like the default map track up in split screen with the PDF on panel 1 and a Sectional chart north up in panel 2.

the Manager? Yeah it looks old and ugly but I haven't had any problem with it.