Serial Ports Maxed Out ?

How many serial ports are you using ?

• Total voters

mmarien

Murray M.
It was inevitable. I maxed out my serial ports. They are all used.

Port 1: xponder
Port 2: GPS
Port 3: Traffic
Port 4: VP-X
Port 5: SV-GPS-250

Does that mean I can't add anything more? Should I worry about not being able to add a NAV/COMM. Can I optimize the ports I'm using. Will adding a GTN 650/750 double up one port for both GPS/NAV. Is it worth it?

How are you guys doing? what are you using your serial ports for?  :-?

perryc

You can task the the receive and transmit lines of one port to different devices. For example Zaon PCAS is only Rx to the SV and use the same port's Tx to sned NEMA GPS to a legacy auto pilot.

Perry

cperry

Port1: VPX
Port2: SV Transponder (corrected) ;)
Port3T: ELT
Port3R:
Port4: Aux Com Port (portable GPS/NAV)
Port5:SV-GPS-250

Future: Icom A210 <--gonna have to give up the Aux com port I guess or the ELT location.

Chris

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The GTN and 430/530 only use the SV-ARINC-429 for its connection. There's a serial port there that's used to get some data that's missing on the ARINC lines, but note the serial port on the ARINC module isn't usable for other devices.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
In all of the above, it matters what you mean by "transponder." If all you are using is the output as an altitude encoder, this may leave you with an input you can use for another device.

mmarien

Murray M.
True. If I move my GPS (in only) or Traffic (ZAON) (in only) to the same port as the transponder I would loose the display of the transponder info on the SV screen but I would gain a port. I also could upgrade to the SV-XPNDR-26X and get traffic there when it's available to free up a port.

Port 1 RX: GTX327 (ZAON or GPS495 works here)
Port 1 TX: GTX327
Port 2 RX: GPS495
Port 2 TX:
Port 3 RX: ZAON Traffic
Port 3 TX:
Port 4 RX: VP-X
Port 4 TX: VP-X
Port 5 RX: SV-GPS-250
Port 5 TX: SV-GPS-250

Are you saying that the GTN 650/750 require a serial port for the SV-ARINC-429 plus another RX? I suppose with a GTN 650/750 a person would go whole hog and get the Garmin remote xponder so there are no blank areas on the 750 display. That would free up ports one and two for the GTN 750 plus I would gain NAV. Kind of over kill for daytime VFR though.

It looks like the initial results are showing that most Skyviews have a port or two free. No need for a USB to serial converter yet. Is Dynon considering extra serial ports or are they confident five is enough?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The GTN/430/530 require a serial port that is on the ARINC module (but don't require any of the 5 on the display itself). My main point was that you can't use the ARINC module's port to gain a bonus general purpose serial port.

Note that the transponder receives TIS traffic only, not ADS-B traffic. It doesn't have the hardware to do so. ADS-B based traffic would require another device, but we're still working on the story there and don't have anything to announce or discuss right now.

No plans to add serial ports, but we can see that some are getting tight. It's on our radar.

bruceh

Here is what I have planned:
1: Vertical Power VP-X
2: Skyview ADS-B
3: ELT (Rx only)
4: Skyview Transponder
5: Skyview GPS

southtarnation

I love flying! Wiring, ...not so much.
Port 1 RX: VP-X
Port 1 TX: VP-X
Port 2 RX: Skyview Transponder
Port 2 TX: Skyview Transponder
Port 3 RX: SV-GPS-250
Port 3 TX: ELT (if it works off the same baud rate as the sv-gps
Port 4 RX: (Planned) Skyview ADS-B
Port 4 TX: (Planned) Skyview ADS-B
Port 5 RX: (Planned) icom a-210
Port 5 TX: (Planned) icom a-210

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The Dynon Com will not take up a serial port.

If the ELT will take 38,400 baud data you can hook it up another way. Or you could buy a $50 GPS and hook it up to the ELT.

southtarnation

I love flying! Wiring, ...not so much.
What is the alternative way to hook up the ELT if it has the specified baud rate?

mmarien

Murray M.
The SV-GPS-250 doesn't use the Skyview TX port so you can use that port to feed NMEA data to the ELT. The problem is the SV-GPS-250 runs at 38,400 baud. Both TX and RX on the same port have to run at the same speed.

You may want to look at a second GPS source anyhow. The iCOM A210 doesn't send anything out so you could connect the (cheap) GPS to the SV Port 5 RX and get a second source of GPS data.

Dynon could double up on the single purpose serial output to make better use of the serial lines. The GPS495 outputs NMEA and VHF data on the same TX port. I have my xponder (squat switch), Skyview (NMEA) and iCOM A210 (VHF) all connected to the GPS495 TX port. The ELT would probably work on that port also if it accepts NMEA data.