servo chattering and setup

lenene

I Am nuts for aeroplanes
Just installed servo 42 for roll and 32 for pitch. On initial power up, the roll servo make continuing chattering noise like it wants to do some movement but is constrained. It is doing this 90%of the time. It is not moving the arm, just an internal noise coming from the servo. I can make it go away almost entirely by reducing the torque and sensitivity to minimum values (like 20% on the torque). It follows heading changes with aileron input very slowly so it seems to be working ok, just chatters much of the time. With the torque at values over 50-60% trying to override has extremely high breakout force required and it feels like I'm about to break something. I thought the increased load on the controls with engagement would allow not such a violent breakout to a new stick angle, then requiring an additional breakout to move to another control input. With the torque down at 20 it is much better but at the pre-set 100% it would be impossible to control the plane.
The pitch servo is almost perfectly quiet although the torque had to be reduced to about 70% to make it usable.
this is all with a D-180, v5.5 reloaded to ensure servos up to date, no AP74 installed. I looked thru dozens of previous discussion topics but could not find anything like chattering noise stuff. :-?
thanks for any advice...

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
When you say initial power up, do you mean when you engage the AP on the ground? Or do you mean any time that your Dynon system is powered on (but the AP servos aren't engaged). Generically, the servos do make a little bit of noise, depending on the installation, that you can hear while you're engaged on the ground. The servos do move in discrete but tiny "ticks". Are you hearing it while engaged in-flight? If you have any play in the servo linkages you might also be hearing the effects of that as things move. Note that even when the servo is hardly moving, it's still often moving back and forth very minutely, one "tick" at a time.

All of that said, can you take a video with audio and send it to us at support at dynonavionics dot com?

lenene

I Am nuts for aeroplanes
ok, ill try to get a video tomorrow I hope. This condition is when I am on the ground, engine not running and autopilot selected on with the CWS/disconnect button, with servos C/B in. I have not flown it yet.
Clearly reducing the gains to very low levels like 15-20% make most, not all of the ticks go away.
I hope to send you a video soon, thanks