Servo Torque

BlueCH750

Low and Slow
Is there any benefit to reducing torque values of the servos to a point where they "normally" don't cause a slip message. My pitch and roll servos seem to work fine currently set at 100% though I am still trying to tweak sensitivity and gain for the overall system operation. There is likely little benefit with regard to appreciably reduced servo power requirements, but wonder if I am missing something else? Thanks! :)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The only purpose of torque is to make sure you can override the servos manually if needed. As long as you can, the higher the torque the better.

Ron_B.

I love flying!
I'm getting slip messages every once and a while but never experienced loss of autopilot control. Why it this happening?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
A slip is not a permanent condition. You might get a "jerk", but the servo and autopilot then return to controlling the airplane. If a small slip, you may not feel it.

Ron_B.

I love flying!
Thanks, I must be getting a small slip as I have never felt it. I have not adjusted any of the settings, should I look into the settings to help or are they not related to the slip condition?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Look at the settings, and if the torque setting is less than 100% try increasing it. It is okay to be at 100%, but make sure you test that you can override the servo.

See the SkyView installation manual, section 10, AP Servo Installation, Configuration, and Calibration, to know how to do that.

W

William_Ince

Look at the settings, and if the torque setting is less than 100% try increasing it. It is okay to be at 100%, but make sure you test that you can override the servo.
Are you implying that, "override the servo" will not simultaneously sever the shear screw?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Are you implying that, "override the servo" will not simultaneously severe the shear screw?

True. The servo design is such that it is intended to be over-powered by the pilot if needed. The torque value sets that value, of what it takes to override. Part of the setup is to test that you can override the servo at the set torque value. So 100% is fine as long as you can override it.

The shear screw is only there in case the servo actually "freezes" for some reason, such as a mechanical failure.

W

William_Ince

The shear screw is only there in case the servo actually "freezes" for some reason, such as a mechanical failure.
To date, is there any history of that (freezes) ever happening with the Skyview servos?

mmarien

Murray M.
I've had problems with my pitch servo but no freezes. If you search for shear screw on this forum you will find that they do shear occasionally.