Servos stuck at old firmware

dgamble

I love flying!
This is a new build of a Van's RV-12. The build was started as a D-180 and therefore has the Van's Skyview conversion harness.

The AP servos were not detected by 'Config | Detect' under Skyview version 5.5, so an upgrade to v 11 was performed.

The attached image shows the current state of the 'Config | Detect'.

Also of note: if the servos are powered up via the Autopilot switch, the Skyview will not complete its boot-up operation - it sticks at 'Enumerating Network' or something of that nature. Attempts to re-apply the version 11 update also fail on the same way.

The wiring to the servos has been re-examined a number of times - all wire-to-wire colors match the Van's plans.

Edit: after looking through some other "missing servo" issues here on the support forum, it appears that only one of the two servos is appearing in the list. I'm not sure if this means there are actually two problems, or if these symptoms indicate only a problem with the missing servo.

Attachments

• screenshot-20141011-084559-967.png
    screenshot-20141011-084559-967.png
    122 KB · Views: 208

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So yes, you're only seeing one of the two servos. But on the one you are currently seeing, what happens when you hit that UPDATE button from the screen you're showing in your picture?

dgamble

I love flying!
So yes, you're only seeing one of the two servos. But on the one you are currently seeing, what happens when you hit that UPDATE button from the screen you're showing in your picture?
It sticks at 'Enumerating Network' - never gets past that.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
A few suggestions:

Try isolating the servo that you're seeing, by unplugging the ADAHRS, EMS module and by process of elimination one of the two servos. Then, does it load when you get to that screen and press update?

After you've isolated the one servo, trying doing a a network configuration without the ADAHRS and EMS. Does that change anything (does it prompt to update?). If not, try using the Force Network Load option in the menu.

dgamble

I love flying!
Solved.

Based on the serial numbers, I was able to determine which of the two servos was not being found. That servo had a poorly crimped terminal. I should have suspected this from the start because this was by no means the first of those we have found.

The next problem was the 4/8 error, but this was a known problem at Van's - they had a couple of pins swapped in the harness that didn't become a problem until firmware update 6.0, I believe. Finally, the autopilot disconnect button was inop, so the calibration failed. That was tracked down to the required wires still being located in the obsolete autopilot connector that was used for the D-180 installation. Moving those two wires to the RV-12 OPTIONAL 25-pin dsub fixed that.

All is working now - thanks for the help!