Simplified autopilot addition?

cmarbach

There is ALT+HSI and ALT+TRK. There is an empty button next to these. I think ALT+HDG would be a good addition.

preid

no doubt! You are right on with that suggestion. I have felt that loss from the older version. I have had a need in cruise to "fly X heading for traffic" by ATC, in those cases I have hand flown the heading, than re-engaged the AP when back on course. I do use TRK very often, but having the ALT-HDG added back would be excellent!
Wish list request- Thx

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Although we know that some of you want HDG mode there, we did this very intentionally. There are a few reasons:

1) If you're flying VFR, it's fairly likely that you're not taking directions from ATC (where you're really supposed to be flying mag heading). And if you airplane to go in a direction as seen on your map, say, north, you want to fly a track of 360. Flying a HDG of 360 will get you some track close to north, but it's going to vary with the wind. TRK is what most people are after most of the time.
2) People - especially non-technical people - have trouble distinguishing the difference between HDG and TRK, and also TRK and NAV (now called HSI). So, we eliminated one of them in simplified mode to, well, simplify things. Ideally, track should be called something like "direction", but, there are conventions here that we didn't want to completely turn on their head. Discovering the difference between HSI and TRK should be a little easier once there isn't a third mode.
3) If you're flying IFR, we've got the mode for you! Expert retains the discrete HDG mode, and it also adds other bell and whisles like VNAV and IAS hold.

So there you have it. It's not perfect for everyone, but that's the story, and we're sticking to it :)

preid

Although I appreciate the time to respond and review the mindset at the time the upgraded version came out..
1) I fly 80% "flight following" which is all pretty much ATC, time and again I am told to "turn to XX degrees" I NEED heading to follow those rules
2) We had all these modes before the upgraded AP, worked fine and I understood all the modes and how they worked.
3) I am no expert- as much as I have attempted to use the expert mode it has required way too much of my attention to get dialed in the way I want it when flying, I have spent time reviewing the manual and flying around testing it, More than I need and not worth the cycles needed to push all the buttons. I dont need much more than what the Simplified does... except allow me to fly HDG  ;)
If I had HDG the AP would be perfect for my flying.. now its just fantastic!
I stick to.. if it can be added easily I am fine with going "semi-expert". I always missed the original AP modes. Maybe make it an option in Setup to use HDG if the user wants it or not.
Regardless, I love flying behind the Skyview and look forward to the next release. (where HDG is added)  ;D

Garrett

I love flying!
I like having a heading mode, it keeps me from getting bored and keeps me aware of changes of the winds aloft. :cool:

cmarbach

Dynon, I think you are making us "too simple". To penalize those of us who want HDG added to "simple" because you are worried the SOME pilots won't understand the difference between HDG and TRK seems condescending to your users.

If we don't know the difference between HDG and TRK we ought to learn.

I vote to add HDG+ALT!

Bill_H

I love flying!
I agree with wanting HDG back. But what I really want is, in the simple mode, to be able to turn ALT off. Sometimes I just want to handle pitch myself.

n28et

I love flying!
This is my first posting on the forum and I felt compelled to respond to this topic.  I fly VFR in and around the busy Class B airspace of Las Vegas (based at KHND). As such, I am in communications with ATC on a routine basis.  I either have to hand fly the plane or guess at what to set the track to, if I chose to use the AP, since I am requested to fly a specific heading. If using the later I occasionally get reprimanded by ATC for not flying the requested heading. Yes, I know I can cross check magnetic heading and make adjustments to the track. However, in busy airspace I rather not have to perform this extra step.

As pilots I would expect we all know the difference between track and heading.  I find it difficult to believe there would be confusion in the cockpit if this function were added back into Skyview.

Dynon, I vote to bring back HDG mode.  Thank you for your consideration.

mmarien

Murray M.
Funny. I like to have ALT without a direction. ATC gives an ALT to maintain (or remain above) while cruising around the city but doesn't care where I go. For that reason I switched to Expert mode. Once past the initial learning curve it's a pleasure to use - plus you have all the heading options independent of ALT.

For xcountry I use HSI (flight plan). That's a given. For mountain valleys I switch to TRK and use the map to dial in a TRK between the big rocks. And when heading into a complex airspace I switch to HDG in anticipation of HDG vectors from ATC.

I fly VFR only but the expert mode is worth spending time to learn. ;)

dnhill

I am a user of the D10/D100 with the AP74.  I am purchasing an airplane that has the SkyView system.  There is frequent use of the HDG mode when I am on Flight Following and going into Class B or C.  I frequently get heading assignments and it has been great hitting the HDG mode and dialing in the assigned heading.

Most of the time on climb out, I do not engage the ALT button as I tend to make changes of climb rate based on temperature, loading, or desired airspeed. On decent, I usually keep the ALT button engaged.

I really expected to have an easy way to replicate the Autopilot functions of the previous generation of products.

Thanks for listening to requests.

lgabriel

I love flying!
I'd venture that all pilots--technical people or not--know the difference between heading and track.

Duane also makes a good point about previous generations of autopilots.  Every autopilot I've ever used had heading hold, and only the fancy ones could fly a track.  I'd suggest that people looking for a simple autopilot are very familiar and comfortable with heading hold.

I can definitely see that same person not wanting to deal with VNAV, IAS, and coupled functions though, so the simplified mode is still a great idea.

alibi7

Yes, i would like to see "heading" in the simplified version. I would even give up track in exchange for heading. If I want to "track" i would generate a waypoint and then select direct. That's the way it is done in the heavy metal airplanes.

preid

When you say create a waypoint, I assume a virtual VOR?
Track is a great feature I used quite often. I would prefer the hdg be added, there is a button for it so why use it?

alibi7

I'm not quite sure i understand what a virtual VOR is but one can go to a VOR, airport, ADF, fix etc and by selecting direct, ;) the aircraft will track to that point. It would be nice to have Heading/ALT mode in the simplified version. And i realize one has it in the expert mode. Maybe, just maybe Christmas will com early. ;)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
I'm not quite sure i understand what a virtual VOR is but one can go to a VOR, airport, ADF, fix etc and by selecting direct, ;)

Virtual VOR is the ability to choose any point on the map (airport, ADF, VOR, random lat/long) and then choose a radial to fly inbound/outbound. Rather than just a direct-to from your current location, or a flight plan. It literally allows you to virtually create a VOR anywhere, and fly it like a VOR, with an OBS knob you can just grab and twist.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
VFR Operation needs Heading/Altitude Hold Functions.

All Dynon autopilots have altitude hold and select. This function has not gone away anywhere.

hstaton

It would seem that you have missed the mark just a bit. As I read the foregoing, the issue is that ALT+HDG is not available in the simple (i.e. VFR) version of the autopilot. I will have to add myself to those who would like to see that done.