SkyView 3.0 - multiple questions

aviator21114

This may have been addressed elsewhere on these forums but I'll ask anyway.

I'm working with a friend who has a single SkyView 10" system. I just updated him to 2.6 successfully. I'm not clear on the $500 upgrade relative to 3.0. Is this a one-time charge or annual? What feature/function does it get him? Are there any videos or screen shots comparing 2.x vs 3.0 features?

Lastly, I'm a bit confused on the terrain updates. Can/should you have very-low res, low-res, high res all loaded or must you select one over the other. How do I determine which res he has currently loaded?

Thanks in advance.

preid

This is based in the US only- You need Jeppensen outside of the US
$500 is a 1 time fee for the Navigation software- you have 30 FLIGHT hours to test it before having to buy it
Go to the Dynon blog for a screen shot. Basically they expanded the Airport information and will provide multi leg navigation in the future.
If you dont buy the navigation software you can either pay the annual fee to Jeppesen or not have any navigation software capabilities.
Low res allows the MAP to expand beyond the 500 mile radius, the LOW RES will replace the Hight Res- he has High until you load the low res for 3.0 under Downloads.
I would suggest you review the Dynon site for the available downloads, including the installation manual that covers what was upgraded in 3.0 if you need more information.

8181C

I second the confusion on the low res download. It states that all new displays sold with 3.0 will have the low res file and all others should down load the low res file. The previos post stated that that this was for the 500nm zoom. I guess the question would be when the display is than returned to a close-in display, say 10nm, would the high res image return? or will it only be a low res image after this download?
LP :-?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
There are three terrain resolution files:

High Res
Low Res
Very Low Res

All of these can and should be on a system at the same time. Every SkyView unit shipped until now has High and Low res. We added the very low res to support larger zoom levels. Loading this will not replace anything on the system, and the system automatically chooses which one to use based on your zoom level.

So basically, if you are upgrading to 3.0 from any previous version, download just the very low res file and load this.

The $500 charge is one time, per airplane, not per screen. If you don't purchase this license, you will not have the airspace, altitudes, and other map features after 30 flight hours. You will still have terrain on SynVis and on the look-down map. Outside the USA you need to purchase both the $500 license and Jeppesen data.

preid

If you look at the Support/Terrain databaase it states:
There are three resolutions of terrain that all need to be installed to show terrain properly at all map range levels. SkyView Systems come preloaded with worldwide Low-Res terrain, plus US only High-Res terrain
Version 3.0 adds a new very low resolution terrain database to enable better terrain display at large zoom ranges.

Good question when does it change back from high to low to very low?
I was stating that I think at 500mile it goes to very low with v3.0.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It's designed to work seamlessly, though there are transition points from high to low 50mi and low to very low at 500mi. You can confirm this by removing the low and very low databases individually and noting the missing terrain.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The free navigation and obstacle data for the US comes from the FAA. We buy the data for a nominal price, process it for use on SkyView, and then put on our website for download.

-Robert
Dynon Marketing