Skyview and 430W question

jcarne

Hello everyone, today the RV and I were shooting an LPV with my new to me 430W and noticed with autopilot on it follows glideslope insanely well but about 4 miles out from the runway it wasn't keeping the HSI centered (about 1/4 scale off by the time I got almost to the runway). I have gone through the usual autopilot tuning guide and it holds altitude and speed very nicely. Any ideas where to start or is this somewhat typical? If I hand fly it I can keep everything centered real nice and looks great out the window; just thought the autopilot would be able to the same, must have a setting screwed up somewhere. Thanks for the help!

CanardMulti

Was the roll flight director bar (or yellow bird) centered or was it commanding a modest turn? I might be wrong but I think the big picture of how the system works is that the SkyView autopilot first generates pitch and roll commands to follow your chosen course. Those commands are displayed to the pilot as flight director steering information. The autopilot servos, if engaged, are also commanded to follow the same pitch and roll commands.

Where I'm going with this: Your AP is happily bringing you down one dot left in the real world. Whether your steering commands on the FD are telling you to keep wings level or say turn a little bit right could help narrow down where to concentrate your trouble shooting efforts.

jcarne

Was the roll flight director bar (or yellow bird) centered or was it commanding a modest turn? I might be wrong but I think the big picture of how the system works is that the SkyView autopilot first generates pitch and roll commands to follow your chosen course. Those commands are displayed to the pilot as flight director steering information. The autopilot servos, if engaged, are also commanded to follow the same pitch and roll commands.

Where I'm going with this: Your AP is happily bringing you down one dot left in the real world. Whether your steering commands on the FD are telling you to keep wings level or say turn a little bit right could help narrow down where to concentrate your trouble shooting efforts.
That is a great question. Looks like I need to go and shoot them again and pay attention to the flight director this time. Oh well, another excuse to go fly. :)

jcarne

Well I updated to the latest and it held just fine on an ILS and 2 RNAVs. Now I just need to address why the autopilot is so aggressive at intercepting a course when I hit the Nav button. Didn’t do that before.

djones

Administrator
Staff member
On the thumb drive that you used to update it there should be a folder: settings_archive. Look in that folder on a PC and email me the settings file from before the update. Also, export the user settings from your screen and send that to me as well. I want to see if any settings have changed.
support@dynonavionics.com

jcarne

On the thumb drive that you used to update it there should be a folder: settings_archive. Look in that folder on a PC and email me the settings file from before the update. Also, export the user settings from your screen and send that to me as well. I want to see if any settings have changed.
support@dynonavionics.com
Will do, may be a week or so. (Out of town)

RV8JD

Last edited: