Skyview Autopilot Behavior following NAV

rfazio1951

Tonight I was flying and playing with the NAV 2000 I recently installed and connected to the skyview. I finally got a good antenna and it works pretty well. I wanted to try an ILS approach into 06 at KHWV. I'm using the autopilot in expert mode. I setup the autopilot to hold altitude and fly in TRK mode and went under the Class C at Mac Arthur Airport, KISP. I was holding at 1300 and tracking towards the approach path for 06. As I neared the approach I turned more towards the course of 59 degrees and probably hit the approach course at about a 30 degree angle. just before I hit the course, she started down the glide slope, announced, then switched to NAV and announced. The glide slope was perfect, right on. She passed the approach course and turned back towards the course. I figured it would even out, but she passed it again and again till I had to turn off the approach. It really got out of wack a lot. It never did that when following a course set in the skyview. If I approach a course set into the skyview she will intercept at a decreasing angle and fly right onto the course. the behavior seemed way different when flying onto the NAV course. Am I doing something wrong? Do I have to adjust the autopilot settings? Any ideas?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So first off, SkyView's course needs to be spun to the localizer course. If it wasn't, you'd expect it to be confused for sure. If that matched though, it sounds like you were about 4 miles out when you intercepted both the GS and LOC, which isn't crazy close. A couple of settings that can influence how aggressively the AP can chase things are the bank angle limit and the roll gain and sensitivity. If either of those are not ideal (use the autopilot in-flight tuning guide to set these well, if you haven't already), that would definitely negatively affect things.

rfazio1951

I flew again and raised the roll sensitivity from 8 to 16. I don't know how it was on 8 because I had written down the settings and I had it at 10. But at 16 it seemed to make it much better. More testing to follow.

W

William_Ince

Hi Rich,

Would really appreciate follow up posts on what you finally arrived at in settings and how you arrived at them.

Thanks.

rfazio1951

I will get back tp you. I had my settings all at the default before upgrading to Version 10. Somehow when I checked the aitopilot settings after the version 10 upgrade, the roll sensitivity was on 7. I upped it to 15 and it was way better. I'm going to set everything back to default and go through the entire autopilot setup procedure this weekend. I'll post how it turns out.

W

William_Ince

Great!

Thanks Rich . . . will be looking forward to it.
I have the same thing coming up soon.

Bill
Clearwater, FL.