Skyview Autopilot

trevpond

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to draw comparisons with my installation of the SV32 Roll Servo on my Europa and would like others who have these fitted to answer the following two questions:

When coupled to a nav system, what is the maximum angle off-track that the system is capable of acquiring the selected track?

If the aircraft is rolled to 60 degrees by forcing the stick through with the autopilot engaged, then release it. How long doesit takes the autopilot to bring the aircraft back to wings level?

Thanks lads

Trev :-[

mmarien

Murray M.
In my experience, when I disengage AP to look at something, it heads back to the route at about a 45 degree intercept when I re engage. I didn't measure how far off I can go and didn't specifically check the intercept angle, but the AP is dedicated to getting back on the NAV route. I suspect that if I headed south it would head north to get back on route when I re engaged. I usually redo the DTO rather then fly all the way back to the original route if I'm off route some distance.

As far as forcing it off, it doesn't challenge the airplanes roll rate getting back on TRK. I have mine set to 12 for sensitivity to keep it from rocking. I suspect that if I crank up the sensitivity it would snap back to level quicker then it does now. It actually doesn't go to level, it rolls the other way to intercept the NAV route I just left. BRG/TRK would be the same I suspect. My roll limit is set to be comfortable for my most delicate passengers so there are no surprises. Otherwise I have to point out something really interesting if I need to roll more than rate one.

On another note, I like the TRK feature used with the map. When I identify something on the map I want to see, I can switch to TRK and line up the dotted line with the feature and have the AP take me there. Went I'm finished entertaining myself I either switch back to NAV or redo the DTO to get back on track. My other GPS doesn't have this feature.

Did that answer the question or am I just rambling. :-?

trevpond

Hi,

Thank's for your comments and 45 does compare with mine and of course it is the quickest way to get back on course.

As for recovery, I too found that it went the other way to get back on track. I found it took around 15 seconds or so to become totally wings level. What about yours?

regards

Trev ;)

mmarien

Murray M.
I gave it a try today. I didn't force the stick. I disengaged the AP, rolled to 60 degrees and pressed the AP TRK button. It takes about 5-6 seconds to get wings level. Of course it continues to roll the other way to get back on TRK. I have roll rate set at rate 1 and the sensitivity at 8.

trevpond

Thanks for that, we're both getting similar results - thing is, the autopilot recovers wings level fairly quickly and then goes the other way to regain the original track or heading.

regards

Trev