SkyView - Garmin Interoperability

pajfcorg

I know that there are bits and pieces of this question scattered all over this board. I would like to request a single consolidated discussion of SkyView - Garmin interoperability. For this discussion assume that all subscriptions are include with the equipment.

Since the current schedule of Version 3 of the Dynon software seems to be 8 weeks or less, lets assume that these answer are based on the current best guess of the functionality of V3 including the mapping subscription.

Assuming you have a standard SkyView configuration (including SV-GPS-250) and for now, no SV-XNPNR-26X transponder. Assume you add a Garmin GTX330 TIS, what functionality have you added to the SkyView?

Now suppose that instead of the GTX330, you configure in a SV-XNPNR-26X. Is the functionality of the SkyView different?

Now let look at GPSs. Same assumptions as above including the Dynon transponder. If you add a Garmin GPSMAP 696, what is the change in the functionality of the SkyView?

Would the answer be the same with an Area 560?

How about the GDU 375?

Now assume that instead of one of the above mentioned Garmin, you use a Garmin GNS 430W / 530W with the SV-ARINC-429. How is the SkyView functionality different?

On to radios. If you connect an SL30 into a SkyView, what is the functionality shift? When you talk about in and out, please help me understand what this means from a function point of view.

What if you used the radio module of the GNS 430W instead of the SL30?

Any updates on the Dynon radio module?

Thanks for any information you can share.

Phil

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Assuming you have a standard SkyView configuration (including SV-GPS-250) and for now, no SV-XNPNR-26X transponder. Assume you add a Garmin GTX330 TIS, what functionality have you added to the SkyView?
You'll get TIS traffic (but not ADS-B-based TIS-B traffic) on SkyView in areas of the country that have TIS coverage. SkyView can also display the transponder code and status, but not affect it.

Now suppose that instead of the GTX330, you configure in a SV-XNPNR-26X. Is the functionality of the SkyView different?
Same TIS traffic, plus the ability to control the transponder from SkyView. Since there's no external control panel, you save some panel space to make room for that espresso machine.

Now let look at GPSs. Same assumptions as above including the Dynon transponder. If you add a Garmin GPSMAP 696, what is the change in the functionality of the SkyView? Would the answer be the same with an Area 560? How about the GDU 375?

This is perhaps an oversimplification (but this is our forum and I absolutely DO claim to be biased :) ) but you can think of all of the current generation Garmin mapping products as roughly equivalent, feature-wise. Interfaces and screen sizes are different, and then only the bigger screen units can do things like charting. Some have XM weather, some don't. We'll leave you the task of comparing/contrasting features deeper than that, and whether our offering is a good alternative to going with one of those. That said, here's the list of the bigger features that 3.0 adds over the free trial that is currently in 2.6:

* Jeppesen Worldwide Data Support (free FAA Nav and Obstacle data will still available through Dynon)
* Improved Airport Data and Find Page
  - Comm Frequencies
  - Remarks
  - Detailed Airport Data
* Improved depiction of map elements, including airspace altitudes.
* G-Meter
* Enlarged HSI
* Power down timer inhibited when external power removed while in flight.
* A variety of other display and behind-the-scenes improvements

The map already supports single point "direct-to" navigation to airports/VORs/NDBs/intersections (multi-leg flight plans are beyond 3.0), airport lookup, nearest airports/navaids/etc. Those features all get refinements in 3.0 as well.

Garmin makes good, capable products. There have a bunch of deep settings, customizations, and small features that each appeal to different pilots. Their products are the Microsoft Office of mapping: capable but sometimes complicated, overkill for some*. They can also get spendy.

Out of the gate, the first pay version of our Navigation Mapping Software is kind of like Google Docs: it will start as streamlined set of the core features that will satisfy many, but maybe not all customers. Like Google does with their Docs product, we'll keep incrementally adding features to our Navigation Mapping Software to convince more and more people that SkyView's map offers a compelling set of features, is a delight to use, and offers unmatched value*.

While I'm in sales pitch mode, here are a few things that our map does offer over much of the competition:
*Bigger (40%,50%, or 100% of a screen), brighter, and smoother displays.
*Free navigation and obstacle data for US customers, updated with the FAA's data releases.
*Pricing that blows most portables out of the water - a one time $500 purchase, and no data fees for US customers.

There are a few ways that you can further evaluate our Navigation Mapping Software offering: First, experience them yourself in person at Sun 'n Fun, Oshkosh, Arlington, or some of the other shows we visit. See here. Some of our bigger dealers like Aircraft Spruce have panels in their showrooms, but probably won't have updated demo software until after Sun 'n Fun. Next, if you have a SkyView display, there will be a 30 hour trial before purchase will be required to continue using it, so you can try it out that way. We'll publish some demonstration videos around the time 3.0 is released. Finally, to see what exists today, you can browse SkyView's Pilot User Guide, available here.

Now assume that instead of one of the above mentioned Garmin, you use a Garmin GNS 430W / 530W with the SV-ARINC-429. How is the SkyView functionality different?

The 430/430W series uniquely offers one of the only affordable ways to add legal IFR GPS navigation capability (particularly if you want to fly WAAS/LPV approaches). We'll continue to encourage our IFR customers to pair our avionics with those products to complete a capable IFR panel.

On to radios. If you connect an SL30 into a SkyView, what is the functionality shift? When you talk about in and out, please help me understand what this means from a function point of view.

If you connect an SL30 (or 430/530 that has a NAV radio) SkyView can act as HSI display device for VORs and ILSes (with glide slope display). You can select the VOR radial you want to fly from SkyView's knobs, and additionally pull up bearing sources to both the active and standby VORs. Basically, SkyView has a free built-in HSI.

Any updates on the Dynon radio module?

Not at this time.

*Full disclosure: the author of this post is a former Microsoftie that actually worked on the Office team, but mostly uses Google Docs these days.

pajfcorg

Thanks for the great answer.

For the record, it was not an either/or question. The bang for the buck and quality of the product had already made it clear that Dynon was the primary answer. The question I was asking was how can I get the maximum functionality from my Dynon panel.

From my point of view the only plus that Garmin might have is portrait vs landscape. It might be neat if at some point you offered a SkyView portrait type panel. It looks like any short term advantage in the software will disappear (or at least be very small) over time.

Just to double check one small nit. Comparing the GPSMAP 696 with the GDU 375 for a moment. On August 19th of last year there was a discussion of the output from GDU 375. I think the discussion started in the SkyView Forum and was moved over to the EFIS forum. The posting indicated at the time that the GDU sent a subset of the GPSMAP packets. This meant the GDU could not drive the HSI or auto-pilot while the GPSMAP could. Did Garmin ever upgrade the software so it sent all of the same data or are they protecting G3X upgrades by "dumbing down" the GDU?

I think your Word vs Google Doc analogy was very apt. Since you guys keep adding mostly free upgrades, there is no reason not to buy right now knowing that even good parts of the system will become great over time. No or little chance of an Osborne effect (if you are aware of the reference). Since futures should no stop current sales, I encourage you to keep putting out as much of the road map with as much specificity as possible.

Thanks for all your help.

Phil

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Garmin claims it's been fixed in a more recent software update, we believe, but I'm not sure whether we've heard positive customer confirmation of that.