Skyview glastar

johnsteichen

My sky view retrofit installation was far easier than I expected. I chose to put the adhars module and the pitch servo in the tail just behind the baggage cmpt closure. I leveled the aircraft and built a fiberglass shelf in the tail area using a lazar level. Pitot and static lines were were tapped in and routed to the rear below the elevator and rudder cables. Pitch servo and adhars cables were routed along the same route. I made up a new left panel to allow for the 10in display and the original vacuum horizon, airspeed , and round altimeter as a back up. The roll servo is under the pilot seat, and was almost a direct replacement for the stec roll servo that I removed. The only problem that arose was with the pitch servo.
I apparently did not tighten the cable clamps enough on the capstan style linkage. One end slid in flight causing a rats nest occurrence to the 1/16 in servo cable. It took a while and a period of confusion before I opened the rear and discovered the nature of the problem. If you design your own servo installation watch your installation carefully. It is flawed and dangerous until proven otherwise. On an initial flight today with the repaired installation the roll worked very nicely and the pitch held within 20-30 feet pLus or minus with only a little tweaking in mild turbulence
I will publish the settings after a little more experience in various conditions with a little more fine tuning. Bottom line is that am very happy with my skyview so far. Anxiously awaiting the 429 converter to link up my gamin 430