Skyview not talking back to SL30

WorkingWarbirds

Hi guys,

I put an SL30/GPS175 combo into an existing Skyview installation for a customer. For the life of me, I cannot get Skyview to talk to the SL30. The SL30 talks to SV with no issue. I have CDI and Bearing Pointer options nav frequencies and all. The problem is, I have no CRS option to adjust the OBS and when I go into setup mode, there are no packets being sent from SV to the SL30. It shows incoming packets, but nothing outgoing. What the heck is going on?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Not positive on this, but I don't think SkyView sends anything back to the SL30. It uses the information that the SL30 puts out to do its own CDI math and display, based on SkyView's selected course.

WorkingWarbirds

Not positive on this, but I don't think SkyView sends anything back to the SL30. It uses the information that the SL30 puts out to do its own CDI math and display, based on SkyView's selected course.
Ok, if thats is the case, why is there no option for a CRS selection on the Skyview displays? Everything else works except for that. Dual 10" Skyview classics.

Edit: I've concluded that this isn't the case, because you are supposed to be able to load frequencies into the Nav 1 through the Skyview. Something is still amiss.

Last edited:

maartenversteeg

I love flying!
Would the Dynon system not send frequencies to the SL30 to tune the receiver? I I select on the Dynon to tune my receiver the updated frequency appears on the SL30 as standby doesn't that mean Dynon sends this information via the serial interface?

WorkingWarbirds

Would the Dynon system not send frequencies to the SL30 to tune the receiver? I I select on the Dynon to tune my receiver the updated frequency appears on the SL30 as standby doesn't that mean Dynon sends this information via the serial interface?

The Skyview is not sending ANY data to the SL30 at all, it appears to me to not even attempting to send anything. I cannot figure out why. Here is a video on FB with the configuration and the issue.

maartenversteeg

I love flying!
Sorry, I am not flying yet, so the only data I can see being transmitted to the SL30 is in response to the tune function where the com frequency is transferred to the standby on the SL30. Course data is still far away for my build

Speeddog8

The Skyview is not sending ANY data to the SL30 at all, it appears to me to not even attempting to send anything. I cannot figure out why. Here is a video on FB with the configuration and the issue.

Can you not push one of the multi-function knobs on the SV, select (CRS) to then have control of the OBS? If the multi-function knob doesn’t offer the (CRS) selection, it seems like I recall reading that you can select (somewhere in a menu) which options are available when you push the multi-function knob. It might be that the (CRS) option was deselected at some point. Might do a bit of research on that.

Last edited:

Speeddog8

If that’s a SV Touch, you might be able to just touch the (CRS) indicator on the screen and it will change the knob function to (CRS). Worth a try.

Attachments

• F13520B4-9312-41C4-939E-3DFFC5D4906E.jpeg
    F13520B4-9312-41C4-939E-3DFFC5D4906E.jpeg
    341.1 KB · Views: 77

WorkingWarbirds

If that’s a SV Touch, you might be able to just touch the (CRS) indicator on the screen and it will change the knob function to (CRS). Worth a try.
Not a touch screen, just standard old SV 10" screens. If you look at about :40 in the video, I click the knob to show there is not even greyed out CRS option to select. I feel like this has to be a setting buried somewhere else in the SV settings, but I don't have the airplane here to mess around with right now. It should be up to the shop on Monday, so I'll be able to hook it up to the battery tender and play with it for an hour or two and get it figured out.

Dynon support thinks I have it wired wrong (Backwards, although the receive functions work just fine) but I don't think it's even trying. In my experience, usually if it was a wiring issue, the Dynon would still show packets being transmitted, the SL30 just would not be recieving them. With the Skyview showing sent packets at 0, I just don't know what to think.

Edit: Looks like you can turn the bugs on and off in the PFD menu, so MAYBE if I turn the Bug on it will work.

Last edited:

Speeddog8

Not a touch screen, just standard old SV 10" screens. If you look at about :40 in the video, I click the knob to show there is not even greyed out CRS option to select. I feel like this has to be a setting buried somewhere else in the SV settings, but I don't have the airplane here to mess around with right now. It should be up to the shop on Monday, so I'll be able to hook it up to the battery tender and play with it for an hour or two and get it figured out.

Dynon support thinks I have it wired wrong (Backwards, although the receive functions work just fine) but I don't think it's even trying. In my experience, usually if it was a wiring issue, the Dynon would still show packets being transmitted, the SL30 just would not be recieving them. With the Skyview showing sent packets at 0, I just don't know what to think.
For what It’s worth, I initially had my TX and RX for the SL30 swapped when I first powered it up. It resulted in a message across the screen that said Com Failure. I don’t think that’s your problem. I still think that there is a sub-menu in the SV that allows you to choose what selections are available when you select the multi-function knob. I don’t think it grays it out. I think it removes it from the selectable choices entirely That would be my first place to look.

Attachments

• 274BA8BC-0795-42C4-AE24-B0F93E3FAF11.png
    274BA8BC-0795-42C4-AE24-B0F93E3FAF11.png
    13 MB · Views: 75

Speeddog8

Edit: Looks like you can turn the bugs on and off in the PFD menu, so MAYBE if I turn the Bug on it will work.
Found it.

Attachments

• 87D38D3A-6016-4CD7-90AD-6D095D3C50CB.jpeg
    87D38D3A-6016-4CD7-90AD-6D095D3C50CB.jpeg
    770.9 KB · Views: 90

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Sorry, slightly I mis-spoke. It WILL send frequencies to the SL30's standby location once everything is talking properly. It does not send course-information outbound though.

WorkingWarbirds

Thank you @Speeddog8, I did eventually find it, and when the airplane was in for the oil change we got that little issue resolved. Thank goodness now all works as expected. We went out and tested the autopilot tracking heading to intercept LOC and it all worked beautifully.

jessesaint

Another benefit of the SL-30 integration is that you can set a bearing point for the active and standby frequencies of the SL-30. That's a great feature when you only have 1 nav radio and want to show 2 VOR's.