SkyView System Integration - SL30 & Becker Mode S

EchoCharlie1

I've searched the installation manual, this forum and the FAQ section, with no straight answer.

Does the integration of the Garmin SL30 require the ARINC 429 module or not, with the Skyview System?

Has anyone figured out if the Becker Mode S transponder can be routed to the Skyview system for traffic alerts?

What engine monitoring system from Dynon is compatible with the Skyview system for backup EMS? I'm replacing my Blue Mountain System and with its inflight failure, I had no engine instruments. I could go with a 7" screen on the other side of the panel, but that would require cutting the panel. Any suggestions? Thanks.

R/
EC1

mmarien

Murray M.
Re: SkyView System Integration - SL30 & Becker Mod

The Garmin SL30 RS232 can be connected directly to the Skyview RS232. Select the SL30 device in the Skyview serial port configuration.

Becker output is aviation format. I don't believe the Skyview can read TIS over aviation format.

Skyview will display engine info with an EMS and compatible sensors. PFD, MAP and Engine information can be shown on the same display. See here:

http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1288912769/75

But as mentioned on this forum you can't have two systems reading from the same sensor if that is what you mean for backup.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

mmarien has it right, basically. We only read the TIS format data as would be put out from a Garmin GTX330 or Zaon. If the Becker is using that format, it would work. But I'm not sure, to be honest.

The SL30 uses RS-232, not ARINC. The SL30 doesn't have ARINC-429 output of its nav data.

EchoCharlie1

Thank you! I start pulling the BMA unit out tonight and am excited about the future of flying with the SkyView systems. :cool:

As for the b/u EMS, I think...based on the response...I'll need to just bite the bullet next year and get a second screen to hook up to the EMS...cutting into this gorgeous panel. :'(