Skyview-to-Garmin GTX327

Sportsman7064

All,

With two Skyview units, I have a question on how to connect to Garmin GTX 327. Does Pin 3 (Serial port 1 RX) from both Dynon units connect to the GTX327 pin 2 (Serial 2 RX), and the two Dynon pin 4's get connected together?

Thanks,

Russ

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Almost. If you using Dynon serial port 1, you want the 327's serial TX (not RX as you stated) line going to pin 3 (brown/violet stripe wire) on both displays. Leave pin 4 on the Dynon unconnected to anything. They can't transmit back to the Garmin transponders. As long as the SkyView displays and the transponder share a ground (which they undoubtedly do, even without an explicit connection), you're done.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Sorry - momentary lapse there. Yes, if you're using SkyView as your altitude encoder, both SkyView displays' serial TX should be connected to the 327's RX. This is actually not optional - ie, you can't connect just one displays' TX. If you do, then sometimes, but not all the time, but definitely some of the time, the 327 won't get altitude. The reason for that is that behind the scenes, only one display is actually transmitting serial data out at any given time. This lets SkyView deal with the failure of a display gracefully, without any serial communications with other devices like transponders/etc getting disrupted.

Sportsman7064

OK, so both SV pin 3's Serial RX are connected to my GTX327 serial 1 TX, and both SV pin 4 Serial TX are connected to the GTX327 serial 1 RX.

Meanwhile, the GTX327 serial 1TX is also connected to the GNS430 serial 3 RX, and the GTX327 serial 1RX is connected to the GNS430 serial 1 RX.

Thanks for the help...

Russ

mmarien

Murray M.
A device can only receive information from one source or the data stream get garbled. The exception is multiple SV as they arbitrate among themselves as to which is transmitting serial information and it only comes from one SV. You can on the other hand transmit serial data to several devices at once as you have.

So you connections are good except the GNS430 TX needs to go to the GTX327 RX2 (pin 2) not pin 19. The two SV TX will be connected to GTX327 RX1 (pin 19).

Sportsman7064

mmarien,

Thanks for the tip.  I think I'm pretty close now.  Here's my full interconnect diagram (made in about 30 minutes in Excel!) but pasted into Word to attach here...

See what you think!

Russ

Attachments

• InterconnectDiagramPicture.doc
    96.5 KB · Views: 119

mmarien

Murray M.
Looks good. The GPS 250 should be connected to both SV's also. You might want to leave the SV audio unconnected for now. I was getting a popping sound so I disconnected mine and it went away.

vasper

I just talked to an avionics shop about my Skyview / Garmin 327 setup and they said that they cannot certify this system for either IFR or even for the mandatory transponder check because the Skyview is not TSO'd. What is the reality of this situation? Do I really need a separate blind encoder to satisfy the FAA?

dabear

If your airplane is experimental, then no, you don't need a TSO'd encoder. Just like you don't need a TSO'd attitude indicator, etc. You may have to find another shop to do the IFR pitot static check.

I had both my ADHARS listed in my logbook as being tested for the IFR pitot static check. Didn't have a problem with the shop at all.

You might try talking to them about the experimental side and what is actually required before going off to get a different shop to do the cert.

jakej

I just talked to an avionics shop about my Skyview / Garmin 327 setup and they said that they cannot certify this system for either IFR or even for the mandatory transponder check because the Skyview is not TSO'd.  What is the reality of this situation?  Do I really need a separate blind encoder to satisfy the FAA?

Vernon

As suggested by many others on another forum, go to another shop ;) BTW - the Dynon (Trig) Transponder is Tso'd AND has an inbuilt encoder :)

Jake J

mmarien

Murray M.
I'd check the SV System Installation Guide - Altitude Encoder Calibration - page 11-14. Technically the encoder is in the SV, but for all intense purposes the xponder is made to only connect to the SV so you can say it has it's own encoder.

sandaville

The Dynon Transponder does not have an inbuilt encoder. This function is performed by the SV software and ADAHRS module, so the encoder would be non TSO'd because the SV is non TSO'd. It sounds like some shops interpret the rules differently, or don't do much experimental work.