Skyview Upgrade

paul330

So, as I understand it, if I want to use my servos with Skyview then I need to upgrade to 5.2 - and I can't do that without a D100.  This, despite the fact that the servos were advertised as being compatible with Skyview and shipped with the required 7 wires.

Now it appears that I have to return the units to Dynon from the UK  :mad: or find someone who is prepared to let me mess with his system and wire in my servos - unlikely  :mad: :mad:

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Those are unfortunately the only two ways to get servos working with SkyView. If your servos are newer than Dec 09, they should have a "SkyView Ready" sticker on them which indicates that they have new enough firmware on them that can be used with both systems.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Quick update - we're looking into whether there is a UK-based location that we can point you towards in the form of one of our more technical dealers. We'll post more information shortly.

paul330

That helps a little. However, the point is that you advertise your Quick Start so that you buy components and install them as you go. Now I find I have to rip out my autopilot servos and, at the very least, ship them to a dealer in the UK. All the indications where that they would work with Skyview "out of the box".

I cannot believe it is beyond your wit to be able to update the firmware through Skyview when you have all the power and data connections available. However, given the number of people who bought for Skyview in the small window before they were compatible (not many) and where they live (mostly US), I am guessing you have gone for the simple solution (from your point of view!). Surely, though, in the future the servo firmware is going to have to be updated from Skyview........

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
As with a lot of technical things, the details get complicated. The end result is that "SkyView-ready" servos, or ones newer than about December, can be used with either generation interchangeably, while ones older than that need to be updated to at least 5.2 in order to be SkyView-ready. As you suspect, the amount of customers this affects is relatively small, and while many things are possible in software, it's not feasible to add the capability to SkyView to update those older software in a reasonable amount of development time.

Mendelssohn Pilot Supplies has agreed to update servos in the UK. Their contact page is here: http://www.gps.co.uk/contact.asp?off=1, and the gentleman that you want to get in touch with there is Dan Brodie.