Skyview will not boot up with Backup Battery Installed

rogersmart

I just did an upgrade to my Skyview D1000 originally installed in 2010
New Items Installed: BU battery, ADSB-472, AP Panel, Knob panel, and GPS-2020
(It is wonderful that my 9 year old Skyview can be upgraded with the latest stuff)

When I have the Backup Battery connected the Skyview will not boot.
When I disconnect the Backup Battery it will reboot.
Once I, connected the battery after a successful reboot and observed in the set up menu, that the battery was detected, voltage 11.80 and charging.
I left it on for about 30 minutes and the voltage go to 11.94. Occasionally showing "Standby" instead of "Charging".
I had a battery charger on the aircraft battery, Voltage on Skyview was showing 12.8 volts.
I assume it would charge faster and more consistently with higher voltage (and associated amperage).
I shut down the Skyview with the backup battery still connected by removing aircraft power and got the shutdown screen as expected.
After it shutdown completely, I reapplied aircraft power, again would not boot up.
I disconnected the Backup up battery, applied aircraft power and the Skyview booted up normally.

1. Why would the backup battery prevent the Skyview from booting? I can not think of any scenario based on BU Battery condition that should prevent a boot up.
2. I know I need to charge the battery. Is it ok to connect the battery after boot up as I did, so I can get the battery charged? (I just found that there is a reboot procedure 1,2,5 that I have not tried. I only tried the button 1 to attempt to boot with in powered on state)
3. When the Skyview is on, in the hanger with a Battery Charger attached to the Aircraft Battery to maintain voltage, are any counters being incremented? I assume Tach Time requires RPM, Hobbs requires Oil pressure, and I don't know of any other cumulative timers.

Issue #2,
The Skyview is locking up whenever I am scrolling through items on the Map>Info screen. To unlock, I have to force a reboot by removing aircraft power. I finally discovered that I could unlock the Skyview by simply removing the USB drive with my Seattle Avionics data. So I am ordering new USB drives assuming this one is probably defective. However, I just want to know is there a known issue with this symptom that is a Skyview issue and not a USB issue.

iflyaz

I love flying!
My Skyview classic seems to have trouble keeping up with all the data on a USB stick, you might have better performance with a faster USB 3.0 stick.
Sectionals have a lot of data. I have about 20 states on mine and I have had an occasion glitch while scrolling around the map with sectional screen on.

Yous issue #1 might be related to issue #2, have you tried booting with the backup battery but no USB stick?

rogersmart

Iflyaz, Thanks for the input. Yes there is a lot a data and that might be the problem with #2. However I have used the same data set for over 3 years without incident, mine is also about 20 states. Unless newer versions of the data are larger or handled differently, I do see why this problem is just now occurring. I guess the added modules could be taxing the Skyview processor or memory more than the previous configuation leaving less capacity to access the files on the USB stick. USB sticks are cheep, I have ordered new 3.0 16 GB sticks to see if this helps. By the way mine was a 64 GB, and I wondered if maybe it was too big to be accessed efficiently.

Issue #1: Good thought on booting without the USB considering Issue #2. I will try that today
Thanks for the response and input.

Hopefully Dynon will respond with their input. I see lots of Google returns on the booting issue with a BU battery attached, but they are no longer linked due to the Forum reboot.

rogersmart

Update from today,
Turned on Master, System will still not start up. Turned on Master after removing USB still no start up. Unplug BU battery, turn on Master, normal startup. Connected both back up battery and USB again, turned on Master, no start up, however then press 1,2,5 System starts normally.
I then charged the backup battery for 2 hours, charged to just over 12 volts and changed to Charge Complete. I shut down and then turned on the Master, still no start. I then tested the battery by pressing the Test button on the shutdown menu. Battery passed the test.
Dynon, do you have a suggestion here for why the Skyview will not startup when applying aircraft power with BU battery connected
Thanks.

airguy

Update from today,
Turned on Master, System will still not start up. Turned on Master after removing USB still no start up. Unplug BU battery, turn on Master, normal startup. Connected both back up battery and USB again, turned on Master, no start up, however then press 1,2,5 System starts normally.
I then charged the backup battery for 2 hours, charged to just over 12 volts and changed to Charge Complete. I shut down and then turned on the Master, still no start. I then tested the battery by pressing the Test button on the shutdown menu. Battery passed the test.
Dynon, do you have a suggestion here for why the Skyview will not startup when applying aircraft power with BU battery connected
Thanks.

Most, if not all, of the Dynon staff are at the Oshkosh event this week and won't be back in the office until early next week. Please be patient and give them a few days to get home and settled.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Sorry for the delay in replying here. Most of us were indeed at Oshosh last week and we're still catching up. I don't have an immediate answer for why your SV display isn't booting when the battery is connected. I suggest you reach out to our technical support team at support at dynonavionics dot com or at 425-402-0433 for additional help with that issue. We may ultimately need to see your display. One thought - have you updated your SkyView system software to the most recent version?

To answer your other questions. It's fine to connect the battery after boot, but 1/2/5 is easier than disconnecting/reconnecting if that starts it up, as you've said.

There aren't any flight or engine timers that increment when the display is on. There is an operational hours (for the display) counter, but that's really an internal counter, not anything you'd care about as a pilot.

RVDan

I love flying!
I’ d just like to say I have had this problem for years. A power cycle allows the display to boot. Like you I traced it down to the battery interface. Unplugged the battery and boots normally. Annoying, but I haven’t had the chance to send the display back to Dynon. Love it if they can find a fix.

rogersmart

I have been busy and unavailable to communicate with Dynon about this but will pick it back up by emailing dynon directly and creating a thread to work through this. RV Dan will let you know what I find. Hopefully it will not require the screen to be returned, will have to wait for winter for that.

HFMan

I have the same exact issue with one of my two D700 displays, originally installed in 2010 as well. All I have to do is briefly press button #1 as soon as I turn on the master switch- the display boots just fine. If I DON'T press the button, the display remains black. If the backup battery is disconnected, it boots up just fine. I also recently rebuilt both backup batteries, but this did not change the display behavior.

raug51

I love flying!
I have also started having trouble booting up my 7" Skyview Classic. It takes repeated power up and power down cycles to eventually boot up. I haven't tried disconnecting the backup battery yet. How did others resolve this problem? Was it necessary to return the unit to Dynon?
Thanks

HFMan

Did you try what worked for me back when I had the 7" Classic? See my post right before your post.

HFMan

How did you rebuild backup batteries?
I basically did what is outlined in this thread. It's something you want to be very cautious about if you are not comfortable soldering lithium batteries. I bought high quality batteries with solder tabs.

raug51

I love flying!
HFMan, I did try pressing button 1 as soon as the master power is turned on, didn't work for me.