Skyview x GTN650 x GTX33 x SVXPNDR-261

cmcardarelli

Hi there!

Does anyone knows if Skyview can work together with Garmin GTN650 and GTX33 (full compatibility - ILS/VOR/GPS etc.)?
Should I use GTX33 or VXPNDR-261?

Thank you all!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We're pretty sure that the GTN650 works (we haven't had any complaints, and surely there are early-adopter customers with this combination. But, we haven't confirmed the correct settings just yet).

SkyView can not control the GTX33. But, if you have the GTX330, we can read it's status (but not change the code or modes) When you use ours, though, you save yourself both panel space and $1400-$1500.

cmcardarelli

Thank you! But does the SVXPNDR-261 works with GTN650? I mean, will GTN get the data from it? I´m asking it because GTN has trafic information that is aquired from transponder, correct?

If I choose GTX33 will it affect Skyview other features, like GPS navigation and ILS aproaches, VOR, etc?

Thank you!

We're pretty sure that the GTN650 works (we haven't had any complaints, and surely there are early-adopter customers with this combination. But,  we haven't confirmed the correct settings just yet).

SkyView can not control the GTX33. But, if you have the GTX330, we can read it's status (but not change the code or modes) When you use ours, though, you save yourself both panel space and $1400-$1500.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
SkyView can indeed output TIS-format traffic over any of its 5 serial ports. This can be connected to devices like the GTN that accept it.

If you choose the GTX33, the only features it affects are the ones in the toys you decide to forego to spend the extra on the GTX33 ;)

cmcardarelli

SkyView can indeed output TIS-format traffic over any of its 5 serial ports. This can be connected to devices like the GTN that accept it.

If you choose the GTX33, the only features it affects are the ones in the toys you decide to forego to spend the extra on the GTX33 ;)

Thank you!

I was just reading the AP infos but I´m not shure if it will do VOR/LOC?ILS aquiring the data from GTN. Can it do this?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Dynon autopilot does not yet couple to any vertical nav output (but this is coming in the "advanced autopilot" feature set, coming soon). But if you have SkyView connected to the GTN650 via the SV-ARINC-429 module, program an approach into the GTN, the NAV lateral AP mode will follow the entire GPS approach, as long as the GTN is providing guidance.

As for the vertical side - for now, you CAN program altitude targets at a desired vertical speed target via SkyView, so you can use that to keep the glideslope needle centered with reduced workload over flying the glideslope / VNAV profile manually.

cmcardarelli

Dynon autopilot does not yet couple to any vertical nav output (but this is coming in the "advanced autopilot" feature set, coming soon).

Which features will be included on it?
Maybe I can forget GTN and go totally with Dynon!
Thank you!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
So that's an autopilot feature set (that we're not ready to fully discuss, but will include the ability to follow VNAV/GS signals, will have sequencing, and other "high end" autopilot features). If you want to fly GPS-based IFR approaches, you'll always need a an IFR certified GPS unit like the GNS or GTN series.

cmcardarelli

If you want to fly GPS-based IFR approaches, you'll always need a an IFR certified GPS unit like the GNS or GTN series.

Thanks!

By the way, IFR requires TSOs... does Dynon intends to get TSO certification for Skyview and its components?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
There are two things that must be certified in a homebuilt (in the USA):

Transponder. The Dynon transponder is already TSO'd.

GPS, if you wish to use it to file IFR enroute or fly approaches. Dynon has no plans to make a certified GPS nor to certify SkyView (which is actually impossible).

Nothing else needs to be certified, even if the aircraft is used for IFR.

cmcardarelli

There are two things that must be certified in a homebuilt (in the USA):

Transponder. The Dynon transponder is already TSO'd.

GPS, if you wish to use it to file IFR enroute or fly approaches. Dynon has no plans to make a certified GPS nor to certify SkyView (which is actually impossible).

Nothing else needs to be certified, even if the aircraft is used for IFR.

Thanks!

I´m in Brazil. Here, for IFR, I need 2 TSO altimeters, 2 TSO GPS, 2 giros, 2 radios and 2 navs... yes, toooooooooooo expensive!

jbeaver

Do you know how the GTN needs to be configured to receive traffic from the SkyView?

sandaville

These are the available transponder related RS232 input settings for the GTN series. They are repeated for #2 transponder if you were to have two transponders installed. I am assuming Dynon must be outputting TIS in the same format as the GTX series for the GTN's to recognise TIS based traffic from the Skyview system. The setting will likely be either of the last two. Dynon will need to confirm this.

GTX Mode C #1 - Select this format for the GTX 32 transponder #1. Provides status data, altitude data, and flight ID. Choosing this input setting will automatically configure the corresponding channel output to the same setting.

GTX Mode S #1 - Select this format for the GTX 33/33ES transponder #1. Provides status data, ICAO address, and flight ID. Choosing this input setting will automatically configure the corresponding channel output to the same setting.

GTX w/TIS #1 - Select this format for the GTX 33/33ES transponder #1. Provides status data, TIS data, ICAO address, and flight ID. Choosing this input setting will automatically configure the corresponding channel output to the same setting.

Panel GTX w/TIS #1 - Select this format for the GTX 330/330ES transponder #1. This provides TIS data from the panel mount GTX 330/330ES transponder.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It should theoretically work with the GTN set to Panel GTX w/TIS, but this has not been tested by us.

jbeaver

If I pick any of the GTX transponders, the GTN wants to put the transponder display box on the screen (with a red X covering it since it can't actually talk to it correctly). When I pick the Panel GTX transponder, the GTN configures both the serial TX and RX to be that transponder (which is unfortunate since I was hoping to use that serial TX to send aviation data out and the RX to receive TIS). Dynon, can you test this configuration and share the correct settings?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Unfortunately, we actually don't have a GTN here (we did temporarily for integration testing, but didn't test its ability to receive traffic from us). It may be looking for the full GTX transponder stream, and that may inhibit our ability to send traffic to the GTN.

You might ask Garmin what they're recommended settings are for receiving traffic from a transponder that only outputs the TIS stream (and not the actual transponder data).

sandaville

I think the answer may be that only Garmin GTX series is supported. A new software update down the track may enable third party support. I know they still have a few things to fix on the GTN series because the last unit I used had a few bugs/features that need updating. Nice unit though, and a big improvement over the GNS series IMO.

sandaville

Update from Garmin. They confirmed what I suspected. The GTN series only supports the Garmin transponders. So unless you have a third party transponder that happens to use the same protocol as the garmin boxes you'll be out of luck :(.