Software update 16.4.6

Raisbeck

How critical are these updates? The shop that installed my panel is 3.5 hrs away and the local A/P is reluctant to ti ker with something he just doesn't understand. Ive read the ICA and think I can manage it (with a signature from my IA). It doesn't seem any trickier than loading a new obstacle database. Am I missing something?

Rhino

The first thing you missed is the right forum. This is the Classifieds forum. ;-)

I won't get into certified or STC requirements, but system-wise it's really up to you. Obviously, in a perfect world, you'd like to be up to date on the latest bug fixes and capabilites. But if you aren't having issues, the need isn’t critical. There's also a significant body of evidence that being an early adopter of new updates can sometimes introduce new bugs that weren't anticipated. I tend to delay updates unless I have a significant need. The difficulty doesn’t really change much from database updates, but there is more potential for problems. Most of those tend to center around USB drives and size/space limitations. There's plenty of history and help resources in the experimental forums, should you experience any problems.

Raisbeck

The first thing you missed is the right forum. This is the Classifieds forum. ;-)

Ah sh..! Didn't realize I was logged in here.
I won't get into certified or STC requirements, but system-wise it's really up to you. Obviously, in a perfect world, you'd like to be up to date on the latest bug fixes and capabilites. But if you aren't having issues, the need isn’t critical. There's also a significant body of evidence that being an early adopter of new updates can sometimes introduce new bugs that weren't anticipated. I tend to delay updates unless I have a significant need. The difficulty doesn’t really change much from database updates, but there is more potential for problems. Most of those tend to center around USB drives and size/space limitations. There's plenty of history and help resources in the experimental forums, should you experience any problems.

I'm with you on being the "first kid on the block " to get the latest software/hardware, but I try to keep my bird up to date and legal. I'm just worried that this is going to turn into recurring headache.

Rhino

I'm no expert on certified aircraft, but the latest software is not approved for certified aircraft. The latest 'approved' version for Skyview is 16.4.6, so you probably never have to worry about being the first kid on the block. That's for system software only. System software and database updates are two different things. Aircraft owners are allowed to update databases as they see fit. AC 43-216 seems to indicate system software is only required to be updated during system maintenance. I may be wrong, but that might only be during annuals or other scheduled maintenance. STC holders are granted some leeway in requirements, so Dynon should be able to answer your questions further. But I see no reason why your update process should be different or more onerous than it is for any other certified aircraft.

Last edited:

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
How critical are these updates? The shop that installed my panel is 3.5 hrs away and the local A/P is reluctant to ti ker with something he just doesn't understand. Ive read the ICA and think I can manage it (with a signature from my IA). It doesn't seem any trickier than loading a new obstacle database. Am I missing something?
In general, Dynon Certified software updates are a mix of bug fixes and smaller feature improvements. We generally recommend running the most up to date software, but of course there is no firm time requirement or recommendation. If there WERE something that required a more urgent update, we'd issue a technical service bulletin.

Note that the list of things that were changed are annotated here , so you can see if there is anything there that is important to you.

Finally, software is something that the FAA has decided needs to be signed of by a credentialed person. Whether they do that themselves or you work out an arrangement to do it under supervision of an A&P, like some people do with supervised maintenance or owner-assisted annuals, is between you and them.