STC for Mooney

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Caveat - our estimates haven't always panned out to date, but we're as honest as we can be along the way.

Notarpilot

Not majorly. The Mooney is still scheduled for this year, and work continues on all the airplanes in progress: https://www.dynoncertified.com/aml.php
I’m assuming you’re talking about the Mooney STC for the Autopilot, right? I’d like to add that I’m holding off on a full panel replacement pending the STC for the autopilot for my M20J. Please make this a priority. I’m ready to pull the trigger.

MooneyJim

Me Too! I am also holding for the STC before I get my new panel. I fly an M20E. Jessie at Saint Aviation is going to cut me a new panel with 2 - 10 inch monitors. The system is anchored by my Garmin GNS unit. I check Dynon's website every other week to see how they are progressing. Once they get the Seneca and Bonanza done hopefully progress will speed up.

Notarpilot

They need to replace that 15 year old D10A also. They do either that or the AP STC and I’m all in. I can wait for the other.

Mooney231

I'm not waiting - upgrade almost done. Everything was pre-wired for the autopilot and the panel was cut for the control head with a Dynon blanking plate installed for now. Hurry up, Dynon! Many of us Mooney guys are doing good advertising for you, now help us help you.

231MJ Dynon Progress.jpg

Notarpilot

I'm not waiting - upgrade almost done. Everything was pre-wired for the autopilot and the panel was cut for the control head with a Dynon blanking plate installed for now. Hurry up, Dynon! Many of us Mooney guys are doing good advertising for you, now help us help you.

View attachment 3969
What a beautiful panel. Question: Is it at all possible to put a smaller 7” display on the right side of the panel? The panel seems to be canted towards the pilot which makes me think it’s impossible but I’m not 100% sure. Do you happen to know the answer?

Mooney231

The space on the right of the radio stack is 6.375" wide and the Dynon 7" display needs 7.5" space. It's possible to fit the 7" screen but it means the tach and MP gauge need to go away and a new panel for the breakers needs to be fabricated. You can kinda see the issue in the picture below. I am going to install a 7" Dynon to display the EMS when I install the Dynon autopilot. Re-doing the panels on the right will be expensive but I think it will be worth it to get a dedicate EMS display and get a back-up display for the 10" display in the process. I can fly without an autopilot for a while and the Dynon autopilot is supposed to be a fantastic unit so probably worth the wait. I'll post more info after I pick up the plane and have it flying for a while.

231MJ panel progress.jpg
clip_image001.jpg

Notarpilot

That would be my idea is just 86 the tach and MP gauge since the HDX can include an EMS. But my question is, can that canted portion of the panel be straightened out to be straight like that 6.375” part of the panel? Is there a rack or vertical piece of metal on the seem where those two pieces come together? Are you sure you’ll be able to put that second 7” screen on the right side of your 231 when you take it back?

Mooney231

Since that section was the second radio rack, there were rails there that the radio trays were riveted to. Now it's just the flat panel and I don't know how the shop did the connections, I suspect they just kept the rails in place and screwed the panel to the rails. The angled panel where the MP, tach and breakers are is a single piece (actually a large try) and it will require considerable re-work to make a portion of it flat. I am NOT sure that it can be done but will certainly try when we're ready to install the AP. Fall back will be to install a JPI 930 which is about 6" wide and will fit into the space.

Notarpilot

Ok, I see. So right now the idea of putting a second screen on the right is theoretical basically. I really hope it can be done because it would be nice to have the space to put that 7” screen so you can display the EMS screen or moving map without crowding the PFD screen in front of you,

M20Driver

Pulled the trigger on dual 10" panel. It should keep me happy in the mean time while waiting for the AP approval. But, In the mean time I have 3 customers with Mooneys, who want HDX systems, and are waiting on autopilot approval. I feel Dynon is going to clean up when its finally approved !

n144sh

I love flying!

View attachment 3969
Beautiful job. Do you happen to have CAD files in DXF or some other format for the panel you could share?