Stick judder when commencing turn ?

onebounce

Hi all, first post here, so hoping I can get some help.

We’ve recently completed our RV-10 here in the U.K. and are starting to explore the (excellent) autopilot. We’ve installed the ‘standard’ Dynon fit for the -10, SkyView HDX, with SV42 (roll) and SV-42T (pitch) servos.

What we’ve noticed of late is that when flying level, stick is as expected but when entering a turn, the stick shakes, or judders, then when established in the turn, all is smooth again. No issues with pitch.

I managed to capture it on video, link below, hopefully link work okay.

stickshaker

When doing the 50hr check, I took some pictures of the aileron capstan - I thought it looked a little different from that shown on the Dynon drawing - a silver coloured disc rather than the more obvious shear screw ?

3990EF93-1D70-4AD2-A8E9-BBC71EC819FE.jpeg

5A0FCED8-64CE-41E3-98DD-5E30BEFFFCC7.jpeg

Suggestions welcome…

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So our tech support team will be best-positioned to help (contact info in signature), but do you get any slip messages on the PFD in the autopilot status area? That would be one indication that something's up. In general, the AP can be "active" as it initiates maneuvers. It doesn't usually look that pronounced though, but that can vary due to varying tolerances / slop in different linkages.

onebounce

Thanks - adjusting the roll sensitivity and gain seems to have calmed it down a bit, will monitor for a while yet before taking any further steps.