Suggesting adding a mute button

RonAp

After many interruptions of ATC communication by various aural messages such as "Autopilot mode" (twice when going in and out of CWS) and various "approaching altitude" ones to name a few it seems to me that a way to briefly suspend them when they conflict or have them automatically delayed when radio squelch is open would be desirable

airguy

After many interruptions of ATC communication by various aural messages such as "Autopilot mode" (twice when going in and out of CWS) and various "approaching altitude" ones to name a few it seems to me that a way to briefly suspend them when they conflict or have them automatically delayed when radio squelch is open would be desirable

Agreed - I have missed several calls due to the overlap of Skyview announcing something on top of ATC calling me. I ended up turning down the Skyview volume quite a bit, but that's not really an ideal solution either. Would it be possible to monitor the audio panel in some way to drop out the Skyview audio during a radio transmission? I realize there are a multitude of different comm panels to work with, and I am unfamiliar with what would be required to accomplish this - just asking the question.

vlittle

Agreed - I have missed several calls due to the overlap of Skyview announcing something on top of ATC calling me. I ended up turning down the Skyview volume quite a bit, but that's not really an ideal solution either. Would it be possible to monitor the audio panel in some way to drop out the Skyview audio during a radio transmission? I realize there are a multitude of different comm panels to work with, and I am unfamiliar with what would be required to accomplish this - just asking the question

This capability is a standard feature on most intercoms and audio panels. Use the 'switched audio' inputs (often used as music inputs). It gives the radio priority and briefly mutes the secondary audio.

Of course, be careful what you wish for... you may then miss critical alarms during radio activity.

Vern

RonAp

This is true Vern, but I only have one switched input that goes to the Pilot's and Co-Pilot's headset on the PS Engineering PAR 100EX that I use as intercom and 2nd radio. That input is already is in use for alerts from a Garmin 496 and I am not sure it would be wise to connect both the Dynon and the 496 to the same input.

(The PAR 100EX, by the way, I would not recommend to anyone else. Many poor design features and very poor company support). Had the your SV-COM-C25 which I addded as my primary been available when I built my plane I would have used it.)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
So first, we can't delay the audio in SkyView for most radios. We have no idea when they are receiving, so we can't wait. We could with some radios like the Dynon.

However, there are a lot of issues if we did:

1) What do you do if SkyView is saying "Oil" when the radio receives? You just stop? Do you continue with "Pressure" 15 seconds later, or say "Oil" again? Do you wait a few seconds after the transmission stops for you to talk?

2) What if you are listening to ATIS for 2 minutes? No warnings? No AoA? No AP mode change announcements?

3) What if you're at a really busy airport? We've all had those flights where we're 12 miles out from the airport and can't get a word in edgewise to enter the airspace because it's so busy. Do you really want the system to just go quiet?

4) What are critical alerts that should punch through? We already do our best to be quiet and only announce important stuff. I think lots of people would consider Autopilot mode changes to be critical.

So, it could be possible, but the not-so corner cases are a real issue to figure out. I'd imagine a post in the future: Q: Why didn't SkyView warn me I was overheating my engine on climb out? A: There was too much radio traffic.

vlittle

This is true Vern, but I only have one switched input that goes to the Pilot's and Co-Pilot's headset on the PS Engineering PAR 100EX that I use as intercom and 2nd radio. That input is already is in use for alerts from a Garmin 496 and I am not sure it would be wise to connect both the Dynon and the 496 to the same input.

(The PAR 100EX, by the way, I would not recommend to anyone else.  Many poor design features and very poor company support).  Had the your SV-COM-C25 which I addded as my primary been available when I built my plane I would have used it.)

Right. That's why audio mixers exist: try the MakerPlane AMX-4A Or AMX-4B 5- channel stereo mixer.
Nevertheless, it may not be advisable to mute critical alarms during radio traffic.... I can just see the TSB report.... "traffic warning alarm was muted by radio communications and the subsequent collision was unavoidable"...

However, it may be possible for the SV system to put critical alarms on the Left audio output and warning alarms on the Right audio output. It wouldn't be hard to put the critical (user assignable) alarms into an unswitched intercom mono input and the remaining warnings into a mixer and then into the switched intercom stereo input. This would require new software from Dynon, however. Nice thing is that it would be backwards compatible.

Vern

RonAp

Thanks for your thoughtful reply Vern.

All of the issues you raise are important considerations. While it would be nice to have it automatic it's because of such concerns that I suggested a Mute Button, which could auto reset in a short period of time so its not left on accidentally for prolonged times.

If some message from Dynon needs to be quieted, a quick jab of the button would do so and yet the pilot would be aware that something was alerted and could look at the message list. Possibly muting could trigger a visible indication on screen of what the message was.

These are just suggestions and I'm sure there are many other ideas the could be considered.

Again Thanks for addressing this issue.

rvator51

Just wire in a disconnect switch in the audio line from the skyview and then you can dsconnect the skyview audio when and as long as you want.