SV-ADSB-472 Not Working

TheFrisco

Installed a full new panel with all the gizmos, HDX, TXP, AP, Radio, Intercom and ADSB-IN. Everything works except the ADSB-In, been trouble shooting this with Dynon now for a week and I am still stuck. So I thought I bring it here and see what the collective mind thinks.

What's happening? Well, here are the various pieces to this ...
  • ADBS-In status page says its 'Receiving' and sees 1 ADBS antenna but nothing else shows, no radar, no METARS, no traffic
  • Serial port shows RX and TX, with Good Sentences but way more Sentence Errors
  • Re-connected serial port to check for bad connection, then also changed from port 4 to port 2, following Dynon advice but no change
  • Status light on device is Green with Yellow flashes which is what it's supposed to do
  • Switched from built-in antenna to an external antenna with a prefab coax cable to eliminate antenna issues but same problem
  • Situation doesn't change if on the ground or in the air
  • Switched the ADSB-In box itself for another to eliminate actual hardware issues but same issue
  • Checked software up-to-date
I have attached photos illustrating the above for reference and if that's helpful.

What am I missing? Anybody has other ideas or suggestions I haven't mentioned? Anyone else seen this?

Thanks Robert

Attachments

• PXL_20210808_184810385.jpg
    PXL_20210808_184810385.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 201
  • PXL_20210808_185021217.jpg
    PXL_20210808_185021217.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 216
  • PXL_20210808_185008841.jpg
    PXL_20210808_185008841.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 221

skysailor

Have you gone to the Map menu and Layers button to enable weather on the display? It sounds as if the ADSB 472 is working but you have not selected the weather/traffic layer.

maartenversteeg

I love flying!
I see that your serial port status is reporting TX: 59030, RX: 1156188, Sentence Errors: 6372, Good Sentences: 622 and Group Errors: 0. I also have an issue that my ADSB doesn't receive any data but I was thinking that this was caused by the fact that I don't have my approved GPS connected to the Transponder (I am still working on the installation), or by the fact that my plane is still parked in the hanger. But when I look at the serial port status that is being reported I see a similar issue with a large number of Sentence Errors. Is such a large number of Sentence Errors normal, bot none of the other serial channel I see such large number of errors (GPS and Transponder both report zero errors). Could this in any kind be related related to the fact that I don't see any ADSB information being displayed. Why would this serial interface report so many errors or is this reporting errors in the received data, or is it not just the serial interface but also the ADSB data trtansmissions. Just like in your example I don't see any information being reported on the ADSB status page but again I was thinking that this was related to the fact that my plane is still parked in the hanger. But with the doors open I receive GPS and I also see airplanes being reported on the MAP page with altitude aqnd tail number reported and a a speed indicated.

TheFrisco

I see that your serial port status is reporting TX: 59030, RX: 1156188, Sentence Errors: 6372, Good Sentences: 622 and Group Errors: 0. I also have an issue that my ADSB doesn't receive any data but I was thinking that this was caused by the fact that I don't have my approved GPS connected to the Transponder (I am still working on the installation), or by the fact that my plane is still parked in the hanger. But when I look at the serial port status that is being reported I see a similar issue with a large number of Sentence Errors. Is such a large number of Sentence Errors normal, bot none of the other serial channel I see such large number of errors (GPS and Transponder both report zero errors). Could this in any kind be related related to the fact that I don't see any ADSB information being displayed. Why would this serial interface report so many errors or is this reporting errors in the received data, or is it not just the serial interface but also the ADSB data trtansmissions. Just like in your example I don't see any information being reported on the ADSB status page but again I was thinking that this was related to the fact that my plane is still parked in the hanger. But with the doors open I receive GPS and I also see airplanes being reported on the MAP page with altitude aqnd tail number reported and a a speed indicated.
Well yours is doing better than mine then ... I don't get any airplanes around me at all. Let me know if you figure out what's going on. Thanks!

maartenversteeg

I love flying!
I was thinking that it could be that for the airplanes I was seeing, that this might be coming in as TIS data and not true ADSB data, but I am not sure this part of the system is completely new to me. Next time in the hangar I will try to capture a screenshot to show what I am seeing

TheFrisco

I was thinking that it could be that for the airplanes I was seeing, that this might be coming in as TIS data and not true ADSB data, but I am not sure this part of the system is completely new to me. Next time in the hangar I will try to capture a screenshot to show what I am seeing
Inside the Dynon setup (button 7 & 8) you'll find an ADSB-In status and it'll tell you what you are seeing in stats. Screenshot is attached above.

maartenversteeg

I love flying!
OK, herewith my captured screens to memory stick pressing the keys 2 and 7 simultaneously. First the map page showing two planes around a nearby airfield, so I get in some way positional information about airplanes in the vicinity. Then the serial port status configured for the SV-ADSB-472. It shows the port working but with 527 sentence errors, but when I capture a few successive screens I see that the number of sentence errors is constant, so maybe this just happened at startup. Over the time that the number of good sentences increased from 773 to 3176 I didn't observe any change in the number of sentence errors. Both the RX and TX counters increase over time. When I look at one of the other serial ports I don't see any sentence errors (like ser 1 connected to the SV-XPNDR-261, no group nor sentence errors). On the ADSB status page I see it report NO SIGNAL and no BLOCKS or ages reported. But maybe this could all be caused by the fact that I have not connected a certified GPS position input to the transponder (wire from 430W to transponder is there but the 430W is not installed yet), so my transponder might not be waking up the system yet.

Attachments

• screenshot-N581SL-SN03443-16.0.4.8437-20210818-181503-523-en_US.png
    screenshot-N581SL-SN03443-16.0.4.8437-20210818-181503-523-en_US.png
    478 KB · Views: 178
  • screenshot-N581SL-SN23139-16.0.4.8437-20210818-181705-946-en_US.png
    screenshot-N581SL-SN23139-16.0.4.8437-20210818-181705-946-en_US.png
    105.8 KB · Views: 166
  • screenshot-N581SL-SN23139-16.0.4.8437-20210818-180514-706-en_US.png
    screenshot-N581SL-SN23139-16.0.4.8437-20210818-180514-706-en_US.png
    81.6 KB · Views: 169

TheFrisco

OK, herewith my captured screens to memory stick pressing the keys 2 and 7 simultaneously. First the map page showing two planes around a nearby airfield, so I get in some way positional information about airplanes in the vicinity. Then the serial port status configured for the SV-ADSB-472. It shows the port working but with 527 sentence errors, but when I capture a few successive screens I see that the number of sentence errors is constant, so maybe this just happened at startup. Over the time that the number of good sentences increased from 773 to 3176 I didn't observe any change in the number of sentence errors. Both the RX and TX counters increase over time. When I look at one of the other serial ports I don't see any sentence errors (like ser 1 connected to the SV-XPNDR-261, no group nor sentence errors). On the ADSB status page I see it report NO SIGNAL and no BLOCKS or ages reported. But maybe this could all be caused by the fact that I have not connected a certified GPS position input to the transponder (wire from 430W to transponder is there but the 430W is not installed yet), so my transponder might not be waking up the system yet.
Looks like you only get bad data on the ground at startup but then you do see traffic. I see no traffic whatsoever :-(

Thanks for sharing,

Robert

maartenversteeg

I love flying!
Yes, but your system reports that it is 'receiving' a signal, where mine states 'no signal'. And you system states that there is one station in range where my system reports zero stations in range. But it is thue that in my case that could both be caused by the fact that at my airport there the signal is too low to receive ADSB on the ground,

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
If you haven't already, get in touch with our support team (contact info in our signature). This might be related to a small glitch in GPS time initialization that we have a way to easily fix.

TheFrisco

If you haven't already, get in touch with our support team (contact info in our signature). This might be related to a small glitch in GPS time initialization that we have a way to easily fix.
I have been in touch with support already but they never mentioned anything around this GPS time glitch. I'll mention this to them!

djones

Administrator
Staff member
I am confident this is the system date issue we found a while back. Please load the attached file to see if it will resolve this issue.

Attachments

• fix_16.0.4.time_date_incorrect_with_gps_fix.dfg
    54 bytes · Views: 187

skysailor

I wrote to support based on the recommendation here. No response yet. Is this issue specific to firmware 16.0.4? I run earlier firmware.

TheFrisco

YEP THAT DID IT. I had stock 16.0.4, all new and this 3 line code fix per the output after loading fixed it. THANKS so much for your help and suggestion, been in contact with tech support for a few weeks now (was out of town for some of that) and we did a lot of troubleshooting. But THIS did it, super simple!

HIP HIP HURRAY!!!