SV-ADSB-472 without Transponder

PatrickW

I don’t understand what functionality exists for the SV-ADSB-472 when it is used without a Transponder.

For someone like me who lives out in the country and never flies anywhere near a Mode-C veil (and doesn’t use a transponder), does the SV-ADSB-472 provide any utility above and beyond a much less expensive Stratux…?

The cost of equipping my low & slow airplane with an SV-ADSB-472 is approximately $1k. What does that investment get me…? I am installing a new Skyview HDX if that is pertinent, and am not planning on spending another $3k on a transponder that I probably would never need.

Thanks for any insight.

Patrick

Rhino

You can still get ADS-B In via the ADS-B antenna, so you can still get traffic (if transmitted by ATC) and weather, without a transponder. The transponder enables ADS-B Out, which is required in many places.

skysailor

The ADSB 472 is only a receiver. It only displays ADSB information received (traffic and weather) and displays that on the Dynon. It has no part in ADSB out for the aircraft. You can use the ADSB 472 without a transponder. I use mine in an aircraft with a Mode C transponder. My ADSB out capability comes from a separate ADSB transceiver as my location requires ADSB out capability.

The ADSB 472 will provide the same information as the Stratux but will integrate it into the Dynon. Graphical weather is displayed correctly positioned and to scale on the Map page. Airport weather color coding (Green-VFR, Blue- Marginal VFR, Red- IFR, Magenta- Low IFR) is also provided for all stations reporting weather. A Weather tab will show up in the airport information for any airport you select in that section with both current METAR and TAF if the station reports it. All are very useful for cross country flight. Your system will work without the ADSB 472 receiver but will be much more capable with it.

PatrickW

Your system will work without the ADSB 472 receiver but will be much more capable with it.
Thanks for the detailed and informative response, skysailor. Really helps solidify my understanding of how the 472 will work. I believe it to be worthwhile to have.

Patrick

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
A short answer is that you'll get all the ADS-B Weather (TIS-B) when in range of ADS-B ground stations - that is broadcast all the time. You'll also get traffic from other aircraft that are ADS-B equipped. What you won't get is the personalized "hockey puck" of traffic that the ADS-B system sends out to each ADS-B out broadcaster. So you might be short some traffic targets. Even shorter: still useful, but know you may be missing some traffic.