Tach inputs with Slick Start mag booster.

chadrubino

SLICK Service Letter LS2-96 has a Caution: "Electronic Tachometers utilizing a mageneto pickup are not compatible with Slick Start.  The tachometer sensor should be relocated to the right hand magneto."
My set up is a D-120, keyed start switch, IO-540, SlickStart (SS1001). The IO-540 came with a retard breaker Slick mag on the left and a non retard breaker Slick mag on the right.
Have you seen this before? Do you know why it's not compatible and know how others are dealing with it?  Only hook up the right side to the EMS?  No answer yet from the Slick Start guys (Unison).

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
I think that letter means devices that use some sort of pickup that mounts on the magneto. We use the direct P-lead voltages. I don't think these are that rare and we haven't heard of any issues.

Pretty sure you can just hook it up as we recommend and you'll be fine.

glasair

The Slickstart module gets battery power applied whenever the starter motor is activated to start the engine. When the magneto points open, the Slickstart delivers a souped up voltage into that magneto via the P-lead to which it is connected. My guess is that the Dynon EMS module would not want to see this input. I have a Slickstart on my left magneto of an O-360-A1A and I will therefore connect the tach lead of the EMS harness to the P-lead of only the right mag.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The issue if you only hook to one mag is that you won't get RPM when you do your mag check on one side.

I actually think you'll be fine with the Slickstart. The voltage won't hurt us, and we filter out fast pulses.

Again, the letter above is referring to a MECHANICAL incompatibility with tach senders that mount to the magneto, which has nothing to do with us.

jakej

DS

The std Dynon Tach setup using the P-leads works well with the Slickstart system, I've recently connected an IO-540 this way. ;)

Jake J