Testing Documentation

paul330

I intend to fit the SkyView and AP servos to my RV10 in the UK.  As you are probably aware, the authorities here are less relaxed about what one puts in the aircraft in the way of mods.

As far as I know, I am the first to be fitting the new AP in the UK- will be ordering shortly!  It may well be necessary to show some documentary evidence of airworthiness so I would appreciate it if you can somehow make available any test data on a) the strength of the mount brackets and b) the performance of the AP.

Regards

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
I'm not sure we'll have the data you need, or even exactly waht you need. Can you please point us to the data that is used for other AP's and we can see if we can help out.

paul330

Well, you state that the brackets for fitting the servos are at least as strong as the standard VANS brackets - can you back up that statement with any test data ie did you load up the brackets under test conditions?

You had beta testers for the AP and servos. Can you supply any of their reports (especially interested in the RV10)?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Unfortunately, we don't have that information in a formalized form that can be easily compiled.

davemgill

Paul, I currently have a Mod form in with the LAA for fitting the Autopilot to my RV-9. I have stated that it will be installed in accordance with the Dynon instructions. They haven't responded yet but it's only been 3 months!

Regards
David G-RVDG

paul330

I suspect your delay is due to the lack of any data - like what I is trying to get, yeah.

Let's face it, the aileron bracket (and to a lesser extent the pitch bracket) replaces a unit, the failure of which would cause loss of aileron.  That is why I am trying to get some data on the viability of the brackets.  You have to respect the LAA attitude of "prove it is safe".  I am disappointed that Dynon cannot provide the relevant information.  :mad:

My LAA inspector is coming later in the week to look over my ailerons and flaps - I will discuss it with him.  If push comes to shove, I will order the units and then load test them - would probably help your mod application.

DBRV10

You guys do have trouble in the UK.

Jabiru had to go through virtually full certification tests, just to get the experimental J400/430 series planes on the market there.

You need to move to the USA or Australia.......

Second thoughts.....after the Ashes recently you best move to the USA, you lot are not welcome here any more......and they stopped sending convicts long ago! ;)

I wish you well with your battles. But please understand that Dynon do not face this kind of stuff in the American and most other markets.

As an aside the CASA down here are seriously considering allowing the Dynon AP for fitting to VFR only certified aeroplanes.......... and for CASA to be that progressive........ I must be smokin something!! :eek:

Cheers!

DB

jakej

It's worse than you think David - the LAA charges heaps for everything they do. From my reading of their magazine it appears every mod or change, to an aircraft, has to be approved by them (and charged for).

"We" don't want to go down that path.

paul330

Testing Documentation for UK

If anyone in the UK is interested, I have completed and submitted a load test on the roll bracket and RV-10 pitch installation.  No issues (as expected).  Now waiting for a reply from LAA engineering  :-/

davemgill

Paul, I have received a reply to my Mod-2. They can't see any issues provided my inspector is happy with the stiffness of the roll servo mount. I have fitted it and it is solid. Just need to complete the wiring and get inspector sign off.

paul330

OK, probably wasted my time then. I thought on such a critical component they would want some proof of airworthiness. Anyway, FYI, under simulated 3.8g x1.5 safety factor the only bit that moved was the right leading edge of the servo where it is unsupported and that was a deflection of about 1mm. Bellcrank action remained smooth.