Torque Settings

TJRV8

Thanks
I've installed 2 SV32 standard arm servos in a flying RV-8. Have successfully completed all Calibration and Test procedures. During the Set-Up process the manual says to set the torque at 100% and attempt to override the servos. When I do this in both pitch and roll, I am able to override, but it creates a lot of noise, and continues to "fight" me. The autopilot does not disengage. Is this normal behavior? Although I can override the servos, it would be interesting flying the airplane if the servos could not be disengaged/turned off for some reason.

Thanks

mmarien

Murray M.
I think that is by design. If you want to fly the plane by hand you should disconnect the servos with either the AP button or the servo disconnect switch. I installed the servo disconnect button on the stick so that if I want/have to hand fly there is a convenient quick disconnect.

led

Terry,

The servos are meant to be overrideable in an emergency or temporarily.  The autopilot remains in operation and resumes control as soon as the controls are released.  The torque needs to be set at a high enough value that the servos can control the airplane without slipping, but still be overrideable if need be.

The AP may be disconnected either by use of the buttons on the display, on the AP control panel, or by use of a switch on the disconnect lines to the servos. 

The disconnect switch, while it is held, electrically disables the servo motors (in addition to sending a disconnect command to the AP.)   We therefore recommend wiring the disconnect switch to both servos.

Lawrence Doan
- Autopilot guy