Transponder error

GWMotley

Experimental aircraft fan
I have received intermittent transponder error notifications but have not been able to capture the error till today. Attached is a screen shot. Does anyone have an idea what this means and how to eliminate the error?
A368E1F0-9F70-4607-8B85-11E21F52B348.jpeg

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
This can indicate a failure in the transponder, but not always.

The DPSK Unlock message would normally be caused by an issue with the transponder module, and is there to make you aware that you are no longer replying to interrogations.

However, if the unit is still replying (ATC do not complain about him disappearing from radar) then this is a false trigger of the warning, caused by electrical interference in the aircraft. We have seen this only a couple of times in the field. But if this is the case, swapping the transponder won't relieve the symptom, as the false triggering continues.

In short, you might want to look at adding Ferrite beads on the RS232 communication lines/upgrade to shielded twisted pair/check shielding/move the base unit away from sources of radio frequency interference.

Give our support team a call at 425-402-0433 or support at dynonavionics dot com if you'd like more help with this issue.

Spcialeffects

I love flying!
I had this EXACT same problem and Dynons advice about the false trigger/electrical interference was the same, however my set up was working all fine for 18 months. It wasn’t anything like that it was the transponder itself. My transponder was out of warranty so I sent it to trig for repair but they couldn’t repair it and so replaced it for a brand new unit which is working fine. Many thanks trig