Trying to work thru ADS-B options

JohnAJohnson

I love flying!
I currently have an Avidyne IFD540 and plan to display TIS-B and FIS-B on it, and as soon as my aircraft gets added to the AML, I'd like to install a Skyview system in the plane. I would want to display TIS-B and FIS-B on the Skyview screen too., as well as on a tablet or phone, preferably Android in nature.

I don't really care if the OUT is UAT or 1090, and it is fairly easy to come up with an OUT solution, but the IN isn't so easy. My old plane had a Navworx ADS-B Transceiver and the IN was sent to my 430W via ARINC 429 using the GDL 90 protocol, and the Navworx box also output the IN on Bluetooth and WIFI, also using GDL 90. Very versatile. My Android tablets/phones (Naviator, DriodEFB, WingX Pro, etc.) and my iPad (running WingX Pro) gladly accepted the GDL 90 protocol.

My question... If I find an ADS-B IN box that'll output hard line and/or wireless GDL 90 TIS-B and FIS-B, will the Skyview use one or the other and if not, are there plans to get it to do that?

If Dynon has a closed system that only accepts their ADS-B IN units, that's fine, as long as that ADS-B IN unit will output to other devices using a standard protocol such as GDL 90 via wired and/or wireless signals.

Any enlightenment on this would be most appreciated.

MikeAg03

I love flying!
So as far as I know, they don't currently support GDL 90 and any in product to the Skyview other than their own. They do have the ability to share that data I believe with Foreflight (with the next software release or now?). I feel Dynon and Avidyne are working together to possible add ads-b feeds from Dynon to the 540, but that is just speculation. Right now the only thing Dynon can send to the 540 is airdata... It won't even send the other engine data like fuel flow.
You could have two IN systems in the plane if you wanted... one to drive the 540 and another to drive the Dynon, but perhaps a bit overkill. I'm waiting to see what all comes out of it and patiently waiting to upgrade my plane all at once, once they STC the 182. We don't even have the 540 yet.... just two old nav coms... :(

GalinHdz

The DYNON Skyview sends its ADS-B OUT data via WIFI but you may have to trick your device to display it. For example, on my Android tablet running the FltPlanGo app I log in to the SkyView WIFI, select EXTERNAL > CUSTOM UNIT and enter PORT 4000 when prompted. I don't know about other apps or equipment.

:cool: