Turbine powered Mosquito helicopter

offroadaviator

I'm building a turbine powered Mosquito helicopter.  The D100 series are not suitable for helicopters because of the pitot dependent AHRS and the EMS does not have a Rotor RPM display feature.  Is installing a SkyView feasible in a helicopter?  Will I be able to modify the SkyView's EMS sensor definitions for Rotor RPM, Turbine RPM and EGT?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Re: Turbine powered Mosquito helicopter installati

Actually, we've had plenty of installs in helicopters and the reports are they work quite well. Pitot is still accurate enough in a helicopter. We are not so reliant that if you are in a near-hover going backwards at 15 knots that we will be wrong. Plus, hook GPS up to it and it will always be right.

SkyView uses the same algorithm for the AHRS as the D10/D100 does.

SkyView might be able to work for you, as it is much more flexible on the EMS side. What kind of RPM are you trying to monitor on the rotor and the turbine? What are the pulses per revolution of these sensors?

offroadaviator

Re: Turbine powered Mosquito helicopter installati

Thanks for the info.  I'll have to stop by next time I'm on that side of the mountain.

T62-2A1 turbine - 6000 rpm = 100%
Main rotor - 590 rpm = 100%

I'm just beginning to explore my EFIS options so I don't have any sensors yet.  The turbine has a tach generator but I don't know any details yet.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Reading these should be no issue, and we can do engine RPM and rotor rpm at the same time as well.

offroadaviator

There are time during flight when a helicopter pilot does not have the option to lean forward and manipulate the EFIS to change screens, frequencies, ident, etc.  Both hands and feet are busy flying.  Will the SkyView allow the pilot to manipulate the screens from buttons and switches on the cyclic and/or collective?  The installation and user guides do not indicate if that's possible.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
That is not currently possible, although there is some hardware in the system that would allow software to do that in the future.

What would you want to change on the SkyView when flying like that? It does not require constant adjustments, just like mechanical gauges do not require constant adjustments.

offroadaviator

Changing freqs between ATIS, ground, tower and approach/departure, while keeping my hands on the controls, would be mandatory in a single place such as the Mosquito, Helicycle or any helicopter being flown single pilot.  During cruise, the left leg can hold the collective for a short time to free up the left hand for more complex tasks.  The ability to ident and change squawk to 1200 would also be very helpful.  The SkyView's integrated transponder and comm modules are the two big features that have my attention.  My panel space is very limited so having all my flight instruments, engine gauges and comm gear wrapped in one efficient package is fantastic.  If Dynon adds the ability to change freqs remotely, there will be considerable interest from the experimental helicopter crowd.

darinh

SV doesn't have an integrated comm yet or did I miss the announcement? I know this is part of the future upgrades to SV but I am pretty sure it is not out yet (and won't be in the near future).

offroadaviator

Yet...  However, I'm confident that a comm module is forthcoming.

In addition to being able to scroll through comm channel presets, it would also be equally useful to acknowledge/silence alarms from a control grip.  Controlling transponder function from a control stick isn't very critical, but would be helpful.