UL Power 2 wire OIl Temp Sensor

alschief

The sensor is reading about 45 degree F below what it should.
How can I calibrate the sensor tp provide the correct display value

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Need a bit more data. What product? What version of firmware are you using? If an EMS-D10/D120 or FlightDEK-D180, what sensor profile are you using.

But more importantly, if it's not one of the sensors we sell, or one of these other part numbers that we support - http://wiki.dynonavionics.com/Third_Party_Two_Wire_Oil_Temperature_Sensors - it's not supported in the D10/D120/D180, and non-trivial to support in SkyView without creating your own sensor definition.

TexasRV8

Using the Westach 399S9 probe.
How does the two wire oil temp probe wire into the D-120?

What are the two wires? They are both black and start from the same point.

What sensor number do you use in the setup?

Thanks

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
One wire to your GP input of choice, the other to ground. Sensor type 9 (per http://wiki.dynonavionics.com/Third_Party_Two_Wire_Oil_Temperature_Sensors)

Fgerr

Dynon Support-

Similar question, 2006 CTsw (Rotax 912) with factory installed D120 (with software Version 5.4.0). I am interested in installing a Westach 399S10 two wire oil temperature sensor as a substitute for the one wire Rotax VDO unit. It is Sensor Type 9, as you noted above, in your documentation.

I looked at the Oil Temperature Sensor types on the D120 Oil Temperature Sensor menu, and it has a list of sensor types 1-6. Based on what I read above, am I correct that I can not just hook one wire of the Westach sensor to the connector that goes to the VDO sensor and the other wire to ground and select one of the sensor types listed on the Oil Temperature Sensor menu? (doing so would be easy...)

If I must connect it to a GP input, where do I find those inputs? Also, as you know, for Rotax, the two CHT sensors are connected through GP1 and GP2. To make the Oil Temperature GP3, do I follow the installation manual instructions for CHT but use GP3 and then select Oil Temperature instead of CHT?

If I go through a GP input, will a larger menu that includes Sensor type 9 appear (rather than types 1-6 as I current see)?

As you know, this sensor has resistance of 3570 ohms at 70 degrees F, 1130 ohms at 120 degrees F, and 251 ohms at 200 degrees F (from Westach catalog, page 35 http://www.westach.com/catalog/index.php?page=PAGE35s.html).

Thanks.

Fred

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Fred,

5.4.0 isn't new enough. You'll need the latest software version to see those additional sensor types.

When used as oil temp, the sensor needs to be connected to the oil temperature input, not a GP input.

Finally, note that if this is a US S-LSA, you actually can't make changes to the aircraft that aren't in the maintenance manual without explicit factory permissions and instructions.