Update D100

Letpmar

Will it be possible to just slide out a D100 make a bigger hole in my panel and then slide in a new generation panel to act as a EFIS and GPS
and will it still be able to display information from my D120
If any what new wiring will be needed

Thanks in advance

Pete

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Basically, yes. The 7" version of the next generation screen will need a slightly larger hole, but won't use the tray (you'll drill some small holes around the rectangular cutout to accomodate the bezel-mounted screws). We have yet to publish the wiring details on how the screens and modules will interconnect. This aspect will be different from the current generation of products, though, on the engine monitoring side, the pinouts will remain very similar.

Letpmar

Thanks
I have room for the 10" screen I just wanted to know if I could leave the D120 in place and would there be any way to continue to use the DSAB function between the new and old system. I take it I will need a new remote compass and the EFIS working parts mounted somewhere as well.
One last thing if I keep my Garmin 296 will all displays from it show on the the Dynon screen or just its own moving map.

Pete

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Cross-generation talking is something we don't have a firm answer for, but are leaning against for deeper technical reasons and development priority constraints.

If you have something that outputs NMEA or Aviation format data, like any of the aviation portables, they'd continue to be able to drive our moving map. Or, we'll sell a sleek externally-mountable receiver too. Or, you could just use a serial puck on your dash, etc.

Letpmar

Thanks but what I was really asking is if all the pages like the flight instruments and set up pages will display from my garmin onto the dynon screen or willl it just give a position to the dynons own moving map

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Just the position will move over. The Garmin does not send out anything about what is on its screen.

Letpmar

Thanks
Will the Dynon screen show airspace I really just want to know what level of detail you will get on the screen I suppose a 1/2 mil chart is to much to hope for

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We will show airspace for sure. We have data all the way down to airport runways! Not sure what a 1/2 mil chart is (is that a Europe thing?) but technically we should be able to show anything that a 296 can, and then some.

If you look on the info page for the new system, you can clearly see a airspace ring and a VOR in the image:

http://dynonavionics.com/docs/news_technology_preview.html

skysailor

I see both the airspace ring and the VOR in the illustration. Neither are labeled. Since I know the image is preliminary, do you know yet if we will have the ability to label the airports/navaids. Will we be able to display airspace vertical contraints?

Letpmar

Thanks
The 1/2 mil chart is the map that most people fly with in the uk some GPS systems use them as as the display.
Will it be complex enough to alert you with say a colour change when airspace is approached and will you be able to screen out airspace above a desired altitude.

Pete

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The VOR ring actually is labeled in the images - "PSP".

In any case, yes, all elements will have labels. Just like on a 296 and most other GPS units, the labels are dynamic and not always shown, based on zoom level, clutter, and other decisions. You will be able to put a cursor over an airport, vor, or airspace and get full info about it.

We also do plan on highlighting airspace that is in your flight path, not just stuff that is near your altitude. If you're descending, something that is at your altitude but 30 miles away isn't really an issue.

Letpmar

Thanks it sounds very nice the point I made about airspace above a set altitude is that its nice to be able to de clutter the map by turning off all airspace above an altitude you can set like the garmins will do. If you then go higher it automatically turns on again

Pete

JTD

One of the post asked about the moving map data presented. If the position data is displayed what about other data such as coarse, time to destination. current heading with leader line etc.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Yes - all of those other informational widgets will be available in some form or other.

Our absolute goal is to be able to have our moving map solution replace the other thing you were thinking of purchasing. Given how complex modern moving maps are, this will be something we accomplish in stages. But we'll get to many of the things on most people's wish lists in a moving map product.

And remember that what you see in the pictures we've published so far is an early stage prototype, and is really there to illustrate the notion that we have a map at all, with great graphics, than any particular feature.