Updated D10A in the pipeline??

Carl_Froehlich

One last panel to do. It will be dual SkyView HDX but I would like to add a stand alone 3 1/4” EFIS as a backup. I can’t bring myself to install a G5, and the AV-30 has its own issues.

I know Dynon does not discuss possible new releases, but if anyone got a “wink and a nod” alone the lines of a replacement D10A I’ll leave space in the panel for a later date.

Carl

Rhino

So you don't really want a backup. You want a full fledged EFIS. Obviously that's a different story. Do you have some idea they're working on one, or just sort of fishing for possible clues?

CanardMulti

Just a thought: The G5 is indeed a bit dated, but it is still a very capable unit. Consider:
- One of the least expensive SAI solutions, especially if you can use the experimental version.
- Besides full pitot static information, it can also accept RS232 inputs from your IFR navigator to display course info for your choice of VHF NAV or GPS enroute flight plan. Full disclosure: I'm told that for LPV approaches the GAD29 ARINC module is needed, but I have not tested this.
- It exists in an entirely separate software ecosystem, not dependent on the Dynon data world for **anything**. It is immune from some bizarre undiscovered SkyView bug that rears its ugly head at the exact right-wrong time.
- It still works even if the GPS satellites croak for whatever reason.
- If you don't want to spend the $$, weight, and wiring effort to install the remote magnetometer, it still tells you track and will do an excellent job of getting you safely out of the sky.
- The size of its numbers and letters are just enough larger (than the AV-30 type 'fits inside a standard 3 1/8" hole' units) to make a notable difference to "experienced" eyes.
- It will fit in a slightly smaller space than a D10A.

Ken

Carl_Froehlich

My objection to the D30 is that for the little it does it is overpriced (I assume the price reflects the “certified” aspect). An updated D10A is a far superior solution. I flew the D10A for many years and it did everything I need. I can’t believe Dynon does not have an experimental market to exploit filling this void.

The main problem with the G5 is it has that horrible “Garmin” label. The other problem is if you add all the associated Garmin boxes to make it do what the D10A did the price jumps up to unacceptable. The GMU 11 magnetometer adds $370, and the GAD 29 ARINC adds another $520. The total price of the G5 option to do what the D10A did is ~$2400.

The owner of my old RV-10 (dual SkyView touch install) put a G5 in, skipping the needed accessory Garmin boxes. It is pretty, but an updated D10A would be better.

Carl

Rhino

My only objection to the D30 is that it doesn't display heading. But that's for use only as a backup. Obviously it won't have full EFIS functions. Don't get me started on Garmin.