Upgrade questions Adding an hdx to pass on a classic skyview system

Rick W

Doing a bunch of upgrades, waas gps, putting in all the dynon adsb stuff including transponder.
Wanted to add a panel to copilot side. Dynon is taking all my money yet again. :-(
Ordered an HDX and expected to install that on pass side, and maybe upgrade my side 10" classic in a year or two to have matchind HDX panels.

Just read mixing them isnt suggested as future software might not work well. Ok, odd sales guy didnt tell me this as he knew exactly what i wanted to do.
SO if i install it...... can it work for a year until i swing the classic unit upgrade?
Want to add a second panel but paying for an old classic instead of getting the newest does not make sense. What are others doing?
Ran all this by avionics supplier and they never mentioned it wasnt ok. KInd of bummed and unsure if i cancel HDX order or ?
Anyone running a mix....did you fall out of the sky?
Has dynon offered any upgrade/trade in programs on skyview or no? Thanks

DBRV10

Who was your supplier? They should have known or should have asked.

The answer is it might work but nobody can guarantee much.

Trust me the best idea is buy two HDX.....you will not look back. Once you get over the money hurdle at least.

Rick W

Adding a second panel was an afterthought after i got all the adsb, gps, new comm stuff.
I swear i had read that all the skyview stuff was plug and play and it completely caught me off guard that it is not.
I have no issue upgrading my classic 10 to and HDX, just need some time as this was a big spend and the extra $3100 for the hdx was a treat after blowing $6000 on that other stuff, but now thinking i need to spend ANOTHER $4400 is a lot in a couple weeks.
Would just like to know it will work for the time being and will do the other panel upgrade in stage 2 next winter.

DBRV10

You can try it and report back, but even the Dynon folk say there is some unknowns in terms of what will work and not. Be aware you could have in flight problems. VFR only if you are going to experiment. You can probably upgrade all the items to suit the HDX and then see what works on the SV such as mapping or maybe EMS....and leave it at that.

You might not have any bugs affect you......who knows!

Rick W

Everything I read showed skyview stuff was all interchangeable Sarasota aviation sold me it and when i got back to them a little grumpy they said "really? Didnt know that" Crazy. So all skyview stuff is apparently interchangeable except monitors. Cannot mix screen types. Kind of sucks as i had a couple year plan and now have a perfectly good skyview 10" classic to sell and went 5k over budget. Still kind of grumpy but hopefully this will save someone else a headache at least.