USB stick causing screen blanking and rebooting.

Tigermoth

I love flying!
The other day shortly after take off my single SkyView screen went black and proceeded to reboot several times.

I got a SYS 3 message to export a diagnostic file within 30 mins. Since I wouldn't land within 30 mins I did it in the air.

I landed with screen normal but it said it required the annual battery test which Id done previously and which passed.

I checked the voltage of the SV BAT 320 which was 12.2 but the test failed twice before I gave up and called Dynon.

Dynon tech said it could be because I had a 'bad' USB stick installed. I have been flying with two, one is the wifi adapter plugged in the back of SkyView and the other is a Scandisk which hasn't been used much. Originally I had subscription to Seattle Avionics VFR charts on it which I decided I didn't like and which I allowed to expire. Id get a message stating that they had expired on each boot up but I kept it in because it did offer a/c position on some airport charts.

Tech said remove the stick and try again. I did this and flew yesterday for 2 hours. After 8 minutes the screen blanked and rebooted and remained normal for the rest of the flight. In my ignorance Im attributing this to the SkyView reacting to the remnants of the problems with the last flight.
I redid the Backup battery test starting at 12.3V and it passed successfully.

Just wondering whether this problem is due to the stick, which Ive kept in the there in case I needed a screen shot or to export a diagnostic file, or whether it was finally reacting to the expired Seattle Avionics software?

By the way, does anyone know how to clean SkyView f the remnants of Seattle Avionics? At the moment in the software installed area it mentions Seattle Avionics and simply states none installed for VFR or IFR charts.

Thanks for an help.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So first, know that there are no "remnants" of any of the Seattle Avionics charts anywhere on the system once the stick is removed. They live on the memory stick only. The system event 3 means that the system has noticed some errors that have caused it to reboot. That often implies an issue with a USB memory stick, but could conceivably be the wi-fi module too. So try removing that as a troubleshooting step. Beyond that, continue your follow-up with our support team: They'll be your best resource here.

GalinHdz

I had the same issue with my SkyView. I found the USB memory had a corrupt sector and no amount of re-formatting fixed it. I replaced it with a new USB memory and it has worked perfect since. Try a new USB memory and hopefully it will fix the problem.

:cool:

Tigermoth

I love flying!
:-*
So first, know that there are no "remnants" of any of the Seattle Avionics charts anywhere on the system once the stick is removed. They live on the memory stick only. The system event 3 means that the system has noticed some errors that have caused it to reboot. That often implies an issue with a USB memory stick, but could conceivably be the wi-fi module too. So try removing that as a troubleshooting step. Beyond that, continue your follow-up with our support team: They'll be your best resource here.

As I said in my post I flew for two hours with no USB stick installed other than the wifi adapter. Other than a screen blank/reboot 8 minutes into the flight everything has been fine.

I mentioned "remnants" of the Seattle Avionics software because in the area of SkyView pertaining to what software is installed at the end it mentions Seattle Avionics - 'none' and Enroute Charts - 'none' so I assume there
must be some reason SkyView does this.