Use of different AOA probe

glasair

I currently have a homemade AOA device on my Glasair that uses the differential pressure method of indicating angle of attack and it works well. It is essentially a clone of the Alpha Systems device. The probe was made according to the attached drawing. Do you think that using one of the ports from this probe into the D6 AOA port could provide angle of attack when the Stalls are calibrated using the procedure in the D6 manual? Which port would be the one to use? I was thinking the upper one, which conveys decreasing pressure as the AOA increases.
I guess the short answer to this question would be, "try it and see" which I will do. Just wondering if Dynon has an opinion or if others have done something similar.

Attachments

• angle_of_attack.jpg
    angle_of_attack.jpg
    568.3 KB · Views: 164

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Our system expects to see an increase in pressure relative to the pitot as AOA increases. Beyond that, we can't say if another system would work acceptably.

glasair

I guess I was looking at it wrong. I will tap into the other AOA probe line, the one that conveys increasing pressure as AOA increases and go out and give it a try. The probe is basically just a hole in a block of metal, so it should work.

Heddergott

I love flying!
Harvey, I just came across your post from 7-10-14 about using a different probe with the Dynon D-6 AOA indicator. I have the same AOA system that you show on my RV-6. (home made) Were you ever able to calibrate that home made probe with the D-6 AOA?
Thanks, Klaus
klaush@sti.net