Using the back of Skyview for wire support? (hear me out)

Steve SR

Kinda boxed myself into a corner here, the best (almost only) way to route the wires to the warning lights is up the back of the Skyview, this is a temporary look-see mockup. I forgot the panel hangs from the top of the "arch" and takes up about 1" with cutouts for the 3 wire lights on the right of the images, and the corner of the Skyview, so my old idea of running the up the edge and over is out.

Ready to receive incoming fire....

Backside Dynon (2).jpg

Backside Dynon (1).jpg

Marc_J._Zeitlin

I wouldn't. You need to be able to easily remove the SV from the panel for maintenance, and you can't do that without disconnecting the cable attachments. Also, double stick tape tie wrap holders are guaranteed to fall off when it gets hot - leave your plane out in the sun in the summer for a couple of hours, and it can be 120F - 140F in the cockpit.

You also need a service loop in your wiring so that you can pull the screen out of the panel and then disconnect the D-sub connectors on the back without straining the harnesses.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but I don't see why those wires can't be run up the panel just to the right (in the pics) of the SV screen, and then over the top.

Rhino

It should technically work, but...

1. Remember to release those wires before removing the Skyview. Might sound simple now, but it's easy to forget something like that down the road. It might also be very difficult to gain access to do that, so probably not the best solution.

2. Be aware, the sticky stuff on those pads will become hard and brittle over time, and will eventually fail, particularly with heat. Might last as long as your panel. Might not.

It strikes me that you might be able to mount a small stud or adel clamp to the top screw of that small terminal block, and then use that for cable attachment. You might be able to do the same thing with the back of one of those warning lights, which would provide another attachment point. That would allow you to route the wires behind the corner of the Skyview without actually attaching to it.

airguy

As mentioned above, I would advise against it - it seems easy to get to it now but once the panel is in the plane you won't be able to remove the display from the panel with those wires attached.

Steve SR

Update: Won't say who I talked to since I did not ask permission to quote them, but the person said there should be no EMI or heat problems with this solution.

After talking with them I did a dry run of removing the Skyview, I'm got 3 Fasstack cables mounted on the back that also need to be removed if I want to pull the display, and I was able to easily get to them by reaching under and back, which gave me enough slack to pull the display far enough out to cut the zip ties.

No, I won't be relying on the sticky tape, if I decide on this as a final solution I'll be using a more permanent adhesive. About to hit the road for pretty much the rest of the month for work (volunteering at SnF was my vacation), so I don't have to make a wrong decision right away.

I can't run them over the top since the panel hangs from the nose deck, need to keep ~3/4"-1" clear across the arch.

skyboy999

I love flying!
Sticky pads not the best idea for the reasons commented on. You could bolt a small ‘p’ clip to panel to side of display and then a stand-off (cable tie through piece of hose) attaching round cables and the ‘p’ clip. This would give permanence and route free of the display.