V16 upgrade yields “Trim Feedback Stuck” warning

RV6-KPTW

Dynon,

After the upgrade, the left HDX displays this warning but the right HDX does not. I do have the AP panel and it is the sole trim controller. I also looked thru the v16 docs and do not see this warning message. Where shall I start to resolve this?

Thanks,

Dennis

RV6-KPTW

I did a test flight today and by gosh, I suppose the trim feedback is stuck. No longer do I have auto trim when the autopilot is engaged. I left a voicemail message for support on the topic.

RV6-KPTW

Yes. Talked with Dynon Support yesterday afternoon. I will go look at network status this morning to see if this reveals a component missed in the upgrade.

RV6-KPTW

Dynon support asked that I check the network status page. This screen reveals nothing amiss. All devices are shown, with V16 installed, and show operational. I have another call in to report this. Standby for round 2

djones

Administrator
Staff member
We are looking into these reports. First, please check the wire on pin 14 of the 37pin display harness (orange with yellow) to make sure it isn't being grounded. Also, make sure that the Trim Amp Installed setting is set to NO. (it should be defaulted to NO)
Engineering has asked for diagnostic files from all screens in the system of those affected. So far it seems very random with only a few affected, but
we want to get to the bottom of it.

AZflyer21

I love flying!
I have the same exact issue, dual HDX 10", AP control knob, (roll, pitch). Only left screen shows the message, no issue with wiring before update.

RV6-KPTW

I provided left and right diagnostics files. Trim amp installed is no. The wire on Pin 14 connects to an ACM so am researching where that might come out.

The left screen is interesting. How does it know?

preid

I’m guessing the left is the primary display at the time, recall there is a active and passive display relationship. did You shut off the left and try with only the right? Like only boot up the right display.
Sorry if I missed that in your status.

RV6-KPTW

This issue is resolved for me. Dynon pointed out that pin# 14 should not go to ground. AFS built the panel and I elected to use the ACM. Figuring out what pin number 14 out of the EFIS into the ACM should do was sort of a challenge. Turns out it does not matter. Jeff Hickman at AFS pointed me to the section in the install manual that said that if Skyview was being, used rather than the AFS system, then the stall warning, canopy, and pitot heat contacts should be mapped to the EMS, not the EFIS. I ignored that at build time. Making this change then would have been trivial. After completion, not very. So, my bad...

The easiest thing for me to do was moved the rear harness wires from that connector to the EMS connector as appropriate. I have not yet flight tested to see if my TRIM FEEDBACK is unSTUCK but am confident it is.

Last edited:

AZflyer21

I love flying!
This issue is resolved for me. Dynon pointed out that pin# 14 should not go to ground. AFS built the panel and I elected to use the ACM. Figuring out what pin number 14 out of the EFIS into the ACM should do was sort of a challenge. Turns out it does not matter. Jeff Hickman at AFS pointed me to the section in the install manual that said that if Skyview was being, used rather than the AFS system, then the stall warning, canopy, and pitot heat contacts should be mapped to the EMS, not the EFIS. I ignored that at build time. Making this change then would have been trivial. After completion, not very. So, my bad...

The easiest thing for me to do was moved the rear harness wires from that connector to the EMS connector as appropriate. I have not yet flight tested to see if my TRIM FEEDBACK is unSTUCK but am confident it is.
Any chance you could explain what exactly you did to fix this? I have the same setup where AFS built the panel with an ACM, only I am not good with wiring so I had help with the install. So I need the 5th grade version of what to do :)

RV6-KPTW

Sure. The wires for canopy, pitot, and stall need to be moved from the EFIS to the EMS.

Page 66 of the V6.5 Installation Manual shows the Aircraft Rear Connector Pins 1, 2, and 14 are listed as Input PFD 1, 3 and 2 respectively. Page 98 diagram list them as 1 - Canopy Warn , 2 - as Stall Warn, 14 - as Pitot warn. I recommend you buzz these out to confirm. These wires should be moved over to the EMS connector pins 9, 10, and 11. See the note at the top of page 108 - EMS harness install and then the Engine Sensor Harness section of the diagram on same page.

Pitot: Move Rear Connector wire 14 to EMS 9
Stall: Move Rear Connector wire 2 to EMS 10
Canopy: Move Rear Connector wire 1 to EMS 11

If your panel is similar to mine, those sensors are already configured in Skyview so not much was done there to enable. I think I have the correct pin to pin but admit to being human so double check.