Vans Stall Warner

mikemalone

I love flying!
This is a copy of a post I submitted on the Vans Aircraft Facebook site;

“I’m fitting the Vans stall-warner to my RV-7, since I already cut the hole in the leading edge some years ago. The tone through the Dynon Intercom-2S is too loud in the headphones. I have the Dynon Skyview system fitted. I have 2 questions, hopefully someone can put me straight. I assume that I can’t adjust the volume of the non-muting input into the Intercom-2S from a dumb tone generator like the stall warner - is this correct? Also, if the answer to this is that I can’t, then what resistor value might I need to place in series between the stall-warner tone generator and the Intercom-2S to reduce the volume in my headphones to a more acceptable level?”

In addition to answers to the above, I would be grateful for your comments on someone else’s suggestion. He said that I could eliminate the Vans stall tone generator circuit board and configure a Skyview general input straight from the stall warner in the wing. Is this possible and how would I do this? Could this type of warning generate a warning tone?

jakej

You could install a 10 kOhm potentiometer in the stall warning output line & that will enable it to adjust the volume exactly to your liking.
OTOH - why not just use the Dynon AOA ? IMO it’s a much better device for giving you warning of a critical situation regardless of weight, CofG , airspeed & angle of bank.
I’ve seen the stall warning devices fail but not the AOA, it’s just a matter of time before that happens ;)

mikemalone

I love flying!
Thanks Jake. I do have the Dynon AOA probe, but since I cut the hole in the leading edge some years ago, I just wanted to finish the job. Belt and braces or OCD - not entirely sure. [ch128514] A 10K, 10 turn pot seems the likely solution as described by some helpful people on the Van’s Facebook site. But others suggested the complete elimination of the circuit board and configuring of a Skyview general input. I’ll see what Dynon says on this help forum.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The non-muting inputs are not individually adjustable. As others have said, a variable potentiometer could do the trick here to attenuate the inbound signal.