Vertical Power Integration?

jeffa

Can anyone from Dynon comment on any plans to allow the Skyview system to integrate with Vertical Power's new VP-X system?  For what it's worth, I'd REALLY like to see it happen.

rckol

Thanks for the link, but these seem like separate questions.

The VP-X is a version of the VP system with no display that uses the EFIS for display, control and software updates. It does not involve sharing EIS or EFIS data at all as far as I can see.

preid

There is a question posed on the VAF site asking for those who will be using the VP-X to let Robert at Dynon know. Same goes for the VP-200.  
search for skyview under forums.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Thanks for the heads up. In case you didn't catch Robert's response on Vans: "I expect that SkyView will interface with it when we can. I'd like to know how many people are planning to install the VP-X. If you email me, please include how soon you plan to install it. I'd also be interested in know which model RV, and whether you are building new or retrofitting. " Robert's email is robert dot hamilton at dynonavionics dot com.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Not yet. There are several higher priority features we are working hard on at present.

brooksaero

I am planning an RV-8 and want to use Vertical Power's VP-X system since I am used to electronic circuit breakers from the Eclipse 500. I was looking at an AFS EFIS, but I like Dynon's prices better. I hope that you will allow for integration of the VP-X system with your SV displays or I will be forced to use the more expensive AFS product.

mmarien

Murray M.
Ahhh - a threat. :mad: Good one. That will get them moving.

On a more inauspicious query. Any further predictions when this will happen?

swaneymj

Just received Vertical Power's latest newsletter today.  It spotlights innovations such as the Garmin G3X and MGL Xtreme as well as pictures of hi-tec panels.  Too bad Dynon can't be included.  Dynon, you really need to put this on your roadmap with high priority.  I'm sticking with you guys, but am still having a hard time understanding why functionality you have in some of your legacy products is still not in Skyview, and why it's taking so long to get that functionality integrated?  For example, what's happened with release 3.0 which was supposed to be out in January?  I really like and appreciate that you thoroughly test your products before release, but I hope this development process does not end up like the heated pitot probe and take many years before we finally see a finished product.   :(

preid

I am hard believer that the Vertical Power, X and 200 integration should be a priority. I have no problem with the 3.0 delay, I believe Dynon is doing the right thing delaying and putting out a solid software upgrade, but I also think there are critical components that need to be integrated.
Dynon asked people what we wanted, there wasn't much a push for Vertical Power to be in future releases, most people want eye candy and nice to have items and that is what Dynon is working on.
I have been told more than once by Dynon, they lsten to what their customers want and prioritize on demand. If there is a VP group out there, make your voice known. If Dynon hears it enough, we'll see it in 11, otherwise I believe it will continue to get pushed back for "nice to have" items, which I agree are nice to have, but in the case of VP is critical to have that functionality.
What is interesting is that this integration is in the D series yet seems like a huge undertaking to make work on the Skyview.
With all the other displays benefiting with the VP integration, I am quite surprised Dynon hasn't made this a priority.

Brantel

There is no VP integration on the D??? products other than VP may be able to read the serial stream out of the EMS side and display the data. That is available for anyone not just VP since Dynon publishes their serial stream protocols to anyone that wants em.

preid

Brantel- Thank you for that clarification, you are correct. I did not mean the VP-X integration but the VP-100/200. They do it today with the D series (VP among others), so it should be easy enough to do with the Skyview. Seems a shame their newest and greatest can't do the same and more than their older models in this specific respect.

dabear

Considering I'm flying behind the SV, I'd rather Dynon continue with their deep testing before putting out releases to minimize or eliminate bugs. Period. I'd like to see a bunch of features out now, ok.. last month ;D But I'd rather have them tested and bug free so I'll wait.

As for Virtical Power integration, I don't see it as critical. Since I don't have it, it seems like a "nice to have" to me. ;) However, I agree that Dynon sets the priority based on feedback from their customers. If they have a ton of customers that want it, then they get to choose.

That said, I would like to see them come out with continued high priority items like flight planning, mapping, weather graphics, Coupled AP, etc. etc. as a much higher priority over integration with VP.

I like the way Dynon is providing the product, and working on upgrades over time. It allows us to have the product now, and know that "X" is coming. We fly with the hardware now and don't have to wait for everything to be finished. Considering their market, and the number of real/potential sales, they are obviously balancing resources/time/features to keep the prices reasonable.

I hope they keep doing that so they stay in business.

kziygz5bwg0

Yes it would be good to see Skyview system  integrate with Vertical Power.   I would  realy  like to see it happen soon  :)  
Building RV6 2 x 10" Skyviews + hopeing VP 200

mmarien

Murray M.
I'm in the middle on my winter upgrades and was struggling with panel lighting. Most everything has built in lighting. iCOM radio - check. GTX 327 - check. GPS495 - check. SV - check - nice dimming feature. Switches - Aveo lighted switches - check. The only things that aren't lit up are the breakers. It would be nice to be able to see which breaker popped if that were to happen in the middle of a night flight. If only there was some way to display a faulty circuit on my PFD. Maybe Dynon will come up with some intergration with an already available high tech electrical system and I can manage it from my SV ;)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Even without a VP-X, You can hook circuits to the EMS as contact inputs and have them throw alarms when the breaker is open.

Of course, popping 90% of the breakers you have will cause some big light on your panel to go out already ;)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
...by the way, we are indeed seeing the VP-X demand trending up. Nothing to announce at this moment, but we ARE listening to you.