Video input

igor113

I love flying!
In Sun n Fun-2014 on stand of Dynonavionics I saw Skyview work with external video sources. I can not find information about it on your site. that such work requires: new touchscreen monitor, new software or some additional block? With best regards Igor

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Igor,
Video input is a feature that we previewed at Sun 'N Fun. It is not in the current software, so it is not something we are advertising in our literature yet. We expect it to be in the next major release.

It will require purchase of a video adapter, as well as the updated software. It will not require the upgrade to the touchscreen.

We'll have more information soon.

nigelspeedy

Video input sounds neat, I think an EVS camera would be just the ticket. How do you anticipate the wiring being done? Will the 'video adapter' be another unit on the Skyview network like the ARINC & EMS or will it require serial input?
Keep up the great work.
Nigel

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Nigel,
The video adapter is a USB device, not a network or serial device. It is powered by the SkyView screen via USB. It will accept composite or S-Video inputs, in NTSC, PAL, or SECAM formats.

purlee

I love flying!
I am installing an Eagle 360 camera pod below my aircraft, in anticipation of what should be a rather spectacular cross country trip.

This mounts 4 GoPro cameras, looking front, back, and to both sides.

Any chance that there is a capability to see what they are looking at via a WiFi connection to the Skyview Video adapter?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
If you can find a WiFi adapter that takes the GoPro video signal and turns it into an analog video signal this would work. We can't interface with the WiFi adapter or any digital video stream directly.

GalinHdz

Nigel,
The video adapter is a USB device, not a network or serial device. It is powered by the SkyView screen via USB. It will accept composite or S-Video inputs, in NTSC, PAL, or SECAM formats.

I don't understand why you didn't provide a VGA input capability since the display already uses VGA. S-video is dead but all PCs have a VGA output.

:cool:

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The display in SkyView does not use VGA, and the point of this for FLIR and taxi cameras, not to use as a laptop replacement screen. Video cameras do not have VGA out.

Plus, VGA is commonly 300MHz of data, while composite is 6MHz, so dealing with a VGA signal is quite a load on the system. Like, no longer an EFIS, AP, radio, transponder, etc kind of a load on the system.

GalinHdz

The display in SkyView does not use VGA, and the point of this for FLIR and taxi cameras, not to use as a laptop replacement screen. Video cameras do not have VGA out.

Plus, VGA is commonly 300MHz of data, while composite is 6MHz, so dealing with a VGA signal is quite a load on the system. Like, no longer an EFIS, AP, radio, transponder, etc kind of a load on the system.

Ok. I guess I misunderstood your engineer at SNF that told me the Skyview used VGA in their display. The rest makes perfect sense so as not to load the system from it's main function.

:cool:

nigelspeedy

Based on post #5 above it seems that the 'video in' connection on the Dynon Video Adaptor will be via coaxial cable. Is that correct? So if I had a camera that had Wi-Fi video output I would need to take that to a third party Wi-Fi in device that also converted to analog video out that I would subsequently connect to the Dynon video in via coax.

It is really great to see a company like Dynon doing battle with the larger established avionics companies.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Video in will be via an analog RCA input ("coaxial") or S-Video. As mentioned, if you have a WiFi camera you would need to convert this to analog somehow.

One might question who is the "established" company when it comes to experimental avionics- we've been selling specialized, affordable, advanced EFIS systems to the experimental and light sport world for over 12 years now, which is about 4 times as long as some of our competitors ;)

nigelspeedy

Thanks for the response Dynon.
When using the term 'established' I was really comparing you to the larger certified manufacturers with names that start with 'G H or B', as opposed to other experimental avionics companies. The fact that Dynon fights above its weight against these folks was meant as a compliment.
Cheers
Nigel

Leon_Joubert

I love flying!
Dynon,

1) Do you have an estimate of when the Video Adapter will become available?

2) What are the future possibilities for a USB Finger Pad Interface (Software Driver) so that the Touch functions can be accessed from an arm rest mounted Finger Pad (similar to those found on laptops)?

Leon,
Lancair ES (3 months? to maiden flight)

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
1) We showed off the future capability at SnF and haven't announced a release date yet, but stay tuned. Make sure you're signed up for our newsletter at http://newsletter.dynonavionics.com or are subscribed to the preflight brief at http://preflight.dynonavionics.com. That's where news hits first (we usually post here about the same time too).

vlittle

When the video capability is released, I hope that you will support a one button push to select between syn vis and camera view.  Even supporting an external contact input would be useful.

Better yet, for those of us with tail draggers and long noses, it would be beneficial if we could define conditions to switch between modes... For example, airspeed less than xx knots to select video on the ground.  This saves fumbling with buttons on roll-out which can be distracting.

Vern